Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tracking
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well finally after 6 weeks of having my new PA's sitting in my garage my son and I went to St Marks for the weekend. There must have been 15-20 kayaks yesterday fishing. I must say I was slightly disappointed in the tracking of the PA's. It was as i had to keep my hand on the rudder handle the entire time. I was wondering if anything can be adjusted. All in all though I loved being out there, my son caught a nice keeper spec and I caught two. Looking forward to next weekend taking the PA's back down to St Marks to take my boss out. Thanks in advance for any help. P

Post subject: Re: Tracking
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have found that as with any boat it tracks differently into the wind and current than with. I have tried to set my fishing course out where I am drifting with the current and or wind and it tracks great with almost no adjustment. Trying to fish while moving with the mirage drive is much more hands on.

" Its all fun and games until somebody gets hurt, then its hilarious"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have paddled kayaks for years and just recently got a PA. I am no engineer or expert in hydrodynamics, but I believe the shape of the pontoon style hull and the rudder placement really makes the PA responsive to everything...the current, wind, weight placement, thrust and so forth. With that said, I have to agree that most boats are that responsive. With paddling, especially w/o a rudder, the tracking may seem better because you are course correcting with each stroke.

Just my two cents. But I am sure you once you get used to maneuvering this baby, you will love it even more.

Happy Pedding!

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree, once I get used to the feel of it all will be well. I actually adjusted the cables to add some more tension the rudder and it already feels better. Looking forward to getting back on the water this weekend, thanks for the replys. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My car does the same thing. Bummer. You'd think I could just point it down the road and it would track along a perfectly straight line without my hand on the wheel.

Seriously, boats are affected by wind, current, swells, your body movement, etc. The PA tracks well, but is not immune to the laws of nature.

Early on, you'll tend to overcorrect due to the PAs rudder being up under and forward of the stern. But in a few more trips it'll become a lot more natural. Just don't ever expect to be able to travel along any distance in a straight line without maintaining your hand on the tiller.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom very good point thanks for taking the time to respond.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

+1 on what Tom said. I remember the first time I was on a Hobie with a Mirage Drive, it was an Outback, and I felt like I constantly had to make adjustments. For some reason, I think most people overcompensate on the steering at first. You will become accustomed to making smaller adjustments.