Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can someone please tell me the diameter of the hole on the Hobie sail mount. I want to try and rig a PVC extension pole holding up a golf umbrella. Has anyone rigged something up to keep the sun off them? Lower Alabama is sweltering in the summer time!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

3/4" PVC fits in nicely. I made an umbrella holder for the sail mast but I am now toying around with trying to attach an umbrella to the seat to provide better protection

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I thought about using the Hobie Mast Holder so thanks a bunch for the info!

I am looking at screwing in a piece of 1 1/4 inch PVC vertically on the back of the chair utilizing the chair screw holes, but using longer screws. Put a "T" on top with end caps. I purchased a "Reel Shade" 60" fishing umbrella which comes with a swivel bracket. I will bolt the bracket top if the "T", which SHOULD provide plenty of shade. I'll rig it up tomorrow evening.

If it doesn't work, back to the Hobie Mast!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The main problem is wind, any umbrella will put a lot of pressure, and act as a lever, on the bracket and most of them are only built/designed to hold just the weight of the umbrella alone. You may want to rig up a method of stabilizing the umbrella or creating a way for it to fold over rather than being too rigid and breaking the bracket in a stiff breeze.
I gasped when I first saw the price of the Hobie bimini but after all the time and money I have spent trying to build a better /cheaper one, I would have been better off just buying that to begin with. It has a nice large bracket to stand up to the wind, adjusts position to give the most protection from the sun/rain and the reviews are pretty good on it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This umbrella is made to fold up with the wind preventing it from breaking. Also the bracket does screw down on the umbrella holding it in place, and adjusts to move umbrella where needed. If it doesn't work it goes back to the store.

But yes, I've spent money trying to do things cheaper but when all was said and done I should have just bought the Hobie product!! For example, the Hobie rod holders: I was going to make my own using PVC. When completed I still went out and bought the Hobie rod holders! But you still can't beat using 2" PVC for bunks compared to the PA cradles!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Iceyak wrote:
But you still can't beat using 2" PVC for bunks compared to the PA cradles!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

So true! So true!

2020 Hobie Outback