Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased a Mirage Pro 17 T . I was wondering if anyone has mounted a trolling motor on the new mount they have for this model? If so what motor did you use?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

The Hobie mount is not yet available. Due soon. In an inbound container.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I installed a Minn Kota Terrova with I-Pilot Link. 55 lb. thrust on my PA17 . The Hobie motor mount is well built and easy to install. I installed the minn kota quick release bracket which makes it easy to remove the trolling motor when needed. The one thing I have found that I would do different would be to install the power outlet for the trolling motor at least 4" above the deck. When I deploy the trolling motor with my weight (200lbs) and the weight of the trolling motor the front of the 17T lowers in the water and 3" of water enters the front of the PA17. See link below to pictures.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/77wwb3tlp43t ... D8Mba?dl=0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

smccombs wrote:
I installed a Minn Kota Terrova with I-Pilot Link. 55 lb. thrust on my PA17 . The Hobie motor mount is well built and easy to install. I installed the minn kota quick release bracket which makes it easy to remove the trolling motor when needed. The one thing I have found that I would do different would be to install the power outlet for the trolling motor at least 4" above the deck. When I deploy the trolling motor with my weight (200lbs) and the weight of the trolling motor the front of the 17T lowers in the water and 3" of water enters the front of the PA17. See link below to pictures.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/77wwb3tlp43t ... D8Mba?dl=0

Loved the pictures and the video. It was nice to see it in action. I'm planning to do the same with adding a trolling motor to mine once I find the part number for the trolling motor mount and order one through my local dealer, but if you don't mind I had a few questions for you.

I noticed the boat is registered in Alamaba, which I live in Florida and have the same rules with boat registration once it has a motor. What was required for you to register it, and did you have to get a title for the boat prior to registration? And finally, if you wouldn't mind, what did registration roughly cost?

Also, in your video what are the yellow objects in the side pockets on the sides of your boat? With your trolling motor, how big a battery did you go with, and on average how long does the battery charge last? Do you use the mirage drive still, or do you completely use the trolling motor?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PDB wrote:
Also, in your video what are the yellow objects in the side pockets on the sides of your boat? With your trolling motor, how big a battery did you go with, and on average how long does the battery charge last? Do you use the mirage drive still, or do you completely use the trolling motor?

Those are good old fashioned marker bouys. I used to use those years ago. :mrgreen:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

To register the boat I requested a "MSO" or Manufactures Statement of Origin from my Hobie Dealer. It only took a couple of hours and they emailed me the MSO. I took the MSO and a copy of my receipt to the DMV. I had to pay Alabama taxes since I bought the boat in Georgia but the actual registration only cost $25.00. Once I paid the taxes and the $25.00 I received a Alabama Boat Registration Certificate but did not receive a title. Alabama has the instruction on the web site so It took less than an hour and I had everything I needed. They were only concerned with the taxes and MSO.

As SRAces stated the yellow objects are marker buoys.

I purchased my battery prior to buying the trolling motor so I did not size to recommendations . I added a picture of the battery and the trolling motor mount installation instructions on my link. I have only been in the water twice since I have had my trolling motor. Each time was around five hours and each time I had more than 1/2 the battery power available. I added the picture of the battery because I'm not sure how to specify the rating of the battery I purchased correctly. The Minn Kota trolling motor User Manual suggest a minimum 105 ampere hour rating for the 55lb thrust.

I bought the Hobie to hopefully get some exercise but since I have installed the trolling motor I have yet to peddle a foot. But it is nice to know if my battery goes dead that I have the mirage drive.

If you look at the rod holder to the left of the battery in the picture, I took the rod holder to a machine shop and they cut me some pieces to mount my TRAC Trolling motor wiring kit and they made me a bracket to mount the toggle switches for lights I will be installing. I spent hours trying to make a piece to fit properly with no luck and the machine shop did it in a day and for only $65.00. Best money spent.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have owned a PA17.
It is looking for a distributor in Korea and may obtain the motor mount.

https://www.kayakshed.com/hobie-kayak-g ... t-pa17.cfm

There is no way to get even obtain the goods from here.
I would like to know where you sell at a different site.
The products I have are MINN KOTA SP 55LB model.
Korea dealer is unable to obtain even a Luggage situation.
Please, motor mount dealer and ask for knowing a link.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have owned a PA17.
It is looking for a distributor in Korea and may obtain the motor mount.

https://www.kayakshed.com/hobie-kayak-g ... t-pa17.cfm

There is no way to get even obtain the goods from here.
I would like to know where you sell at a different site.
The products I have are MINN KOTA SP 55LB model.
Korea dealer is unable to obtain even a Luggage situation.
Please, motor mount dealer and ask for knowing a link.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:52 am 
Site Admin

Your regional distributor is Hobie Cat Australasia

Hobie Cat Australasia
Subsidiary
Sailboats and Kayaks: Oceania, South Pacific, China, and Southeast Asia

11 Erina Road
Huskisson, NSW 2540
Australia
61-2-44-418-400
[email protected]

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Deck Hand:

In your June 4, 2015 post, you said this: "When I deploy the trolling motor with my weight (200lbs) and the weight of the trolling motor the front of the 17T lowers in the water and 3" of water enters the front of the PA17."

Would you kindly tell me, did you ever find a way of resolving the "3-inches of water entering the front of the PA17" issue? If so, what are you now doing to circumvent this problem?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm not sure you can resolve the issue even though it's not a big deal. After I deploy the trolling motor by the time I'm back in my seat the water is gone. I brought this up in case someone wanted to install the outlet. It was just to give you a heads up to mount it higher.