Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2012 Mirage Drive
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had my 2010 PA hull replaced under warranty with a 2012 and I know the mirage drive is different with the new guide pins for easy installation. My old mirage drive now doesn't want to stay in and under the slightest pressure it unlocks. The new hull came with a new drum pin that had a set of instructions saying it should be used to prevent that very issue. I installed it before ever using the mirage drive with the old pin so I don't know if the problem will happen with the old one or not. I tried for an hour or so off and on trying to get it to stay in and had no luck. My question is this; is the drum on the 2012's mirage drive the only thing that's different to accommodate the guide pins or is something else needed in order to make a 2012 Mirage drive out of my old one?

Post subject: Re: 2012 Mirage Drive
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:55 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

The drum shaft actually wasn't necessary for you. The new shaft is for those who had a cam knob boat before and are receiving a click n go style as a replacement. The new shaft grips the spine better and wont spin when pedalling. We some issues with them spinning and rolling out of the click n go's. Each boat is slightly different though. Be sure there is some rocking of the drive front to back to ensure that it is fully dropping down. There may be some friction somewhere preventing them from locking in place.

Send me an email and we'll help you get it sorted out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'll check that out when I get home. Thanks for the great service and prompt response. You guys rock!

But just for sh!% and grins can I replace the drum to take advantage of the new guides or will it require more parts and if so what parts?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:12 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

You would just need a new spine (#81181001) and the guide pin (#81095001). It would be about a $25 upgrade.