Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA 12 for roof rack
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys gonna be getting a PA 12 soon and got a Yakima roof rack couple weeks ago just wondering what is the best set up for it? Aero saddles, hulley rollers, boat loader, etc.?

Thanks
Charles

Post subject: Re: PA 12 for roof rack
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've got a set of the hulley rollers on the back of the factory rack system on my jeep cherokee and a set of aero saddles on the front. Works well for me. Highly recommend setting them up with the available lock cores so no one can get their hands on my stuff and I don't feel like I need to take them off so they don't get stolen. The hulley rollers have a housing that you will have to purchase also to make the locking system work. Hope this helps. Good fishing!! :(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Charles, you must be a young strong dude to be putting a PA on the roof of your car :!: Wait until you get to be my age. Just getting it on the trailer can be a chore at times :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the yakima saddle mounts for a prior yak. They didnt work very well at all for the pa12. Then I saw Tom Kirkmans post on the "Pro Angler Tandem Trailer" using pvc, and for $6 made the perfect roof rack for my pa12.... slides on and off like a dream, conforms to the hull troughs, doesn't deform the hull, it's cheap, and easy to install. I used the yakima straps to attach to the cross-bars on my xterra; but I also installed pvc tubes in similar fashion but simply bolted on between 2 short saw horses for a perfect place to store or work on the pa12. I loosely placed them on the bars, put the boat on top (with some help) to "position" the tubes where they want to go, and marked the location. Then removed the boat and attached the tubes in the exact same location so they will ride perfectly in the troughs. Of course you could simply measure, then measure again, the mark and have at it I suppose :)

Loading/unloading isnt so bad. There's a you tube video on it. Wheel the rear of the boat at an angle to a few feet behind the vehicle. Place bath carpet on the car. Lift the front of the boat (1/2 the weight) up and lean it on the carpet on the top of the car centered between the tubes. Let the tires fall out. Now lift the back half of the boat (1/2 the weight) up and push - the boat slides easily over the tubes. Reverse the process to unload, except insert wheels and lock 'em in place after you lower the back of the boat to the ground and before you lower the front end of the boat. Took a little to get used too but now I do it quite quickly and easily; and I'm not a young strong dude by any stretch of the imagination. I actually find it less stressful than it was lifting my sport on and off the top of my xterra since I couldnt simply lean, lift and push/pull that boat on and off the car...it was simply to short for that so I had to lift it's entire weight - which wasnt too bad, but still was more than this method with the pa.

Here's a pic of the rack on my xterra. Ignore the dent on the front of my roof - that was actually made, if you can believe it, not by one of these big boats but rather by my i9...it was so unexpectedly light the 1st time I threw it I up there it shot up to high and came down way to hard, and the hard plastic ribbing on the bottom dented my car...doh!

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj516/stevelibs/IMG_0388.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Steve love your set up on your exterra with PVC I might just have to that. Is there a tutorial on how to make these? If anyone can shoot me in the right direction I would appreciate it

Thanks
Charles

Ps I have seen PA's loaded up on roof racks on YouTube and it doesn't look that difficult at all plus I have a air suspension on my car so I can lower it to the ground. At 39 I think I'm strong enough to load with no problems

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hate to sound like an idiot, but how did you attach the pvc to the cross bars. Great idea. Thanks in advance for the help. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

They are bolted to yakima might mounts. I had a set with the saddles I bought before. I see 'em on e-bay for various size/shape cross bars for as little at $6 a set. I decided to try the mounts, and if they didn't work out I would drill a hole directly thru the cross-bars and attach the pvc that way. But I didn't have to. The mighty mounts have worked-out just fine. I've taken several long trips at highway speeds, and a lot of travel down unpaved bumpy roads, with no problems vibrating or breaking loose. $6 PVC + $6 Mounts = $12 Roof Rack.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What size PVC pipes did you use and what size of the mighty mounts did you use?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

2" pvc and mounts for the type of cross-bars you have. For example, the cross-bars on my x-terra are oblong and there are specific mounts for these. Just search, then search again....everytime I search more than once I find the same thing for a different price, and often times a MUCH better price.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Do they whistle while going down the road?? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SteveLIBS wrote:
2" pvc and mounts for the type of cross-bars you have. For example, the cross-bars on my x-terra are oblong and there are specific mounts for these. Just search, then search again....everytime I search more than once I find the same thing for a different price, and often times a MUCH better price.

Thanks Steve I think I found the mounts for my Yakima there called snap around mounts. Gonna try and pick up a set of 4 tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There is a slight whistle sometimes, yes. An elbow on the end(s) might help to eliminate that, and maybe even give a round corner for the boat to ride up on, I don't know - It doesn't really bother me as I don't really hear it anyway, and I opted to keep it simple with as few parts as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the info. If/when my current system craps out on me, this looks like an inexpensive and great option. Really appreciate the info. contained in this forum. Tight lines!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SteveK wrote:
Do they whistle while going down the road?? :lol:

If you drill some holes in them like on a flute, you could play a tune while goig down the road :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have been using the Yakima Showboat, Hulley Rollers and Mako Aero Saddles for my PA14 last last 2.5 years and they work great. Here's a post on my setup.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=22283&start=0