Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ram Rod Holder - PA Rail
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am currently thinking of mounting a Ram U-Bolt mount (Ram 235-1U)on each of the PA side rails. Plans are to put the Ram Tube 2008 on each of the 1 1/2" ball mounts.

Seems that I remember someone saying something about the rails not being strong enough for the pressure that would be put on them with the rod holders???? Any comments???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had Scotty mounts on my rails and removed me. I didn't like the way the torqued the bars. Only one end of the bars is riveted. Instead I put them on the side mounting plates and used the Scotty extenders and angle them back towards me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They are plenty strong. Particularly when you consider that once on the water, it's almost impossible to put any sort of load on them - the boat will simply move.

My rod holders have been mounted on my PA's bars for a couple years now. They work great.

Do note that the 2013 PAs have much shorter bars and they may not allow you to place your rod holders within easy reach (nor are they situated for balanced carrying or lifting of the PA).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I took one of the side handles/rails apart and found that the only thing that keeps them from turning is a small plastic tag on the inside of the rail. If any pressure get put on them they might turn. The rail sits 1 1/2" inside the plastic ends so they should be secure enough from that aspect.

Easy solution is to drill a hole through the end cap and actual rail then put a stainless steel screw through the hole. This would keep the rail from turning.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have scotty mounts on both rails and have not had any issues what so ever. I like the convenience of being able to grab the rod quicker when a strike is on. With that said, I never have the drag set to tight...not because I think the boat would tip or the handle would break, rather...I was always taught that you should have the drag....just tight enough for line to get pulled with just the right amount of pressure.

I agree with Tom, unless you are attaching a Marlin rig onto your bars with the drag set at 100%, there is a chance that the mighty marlin's strength and speed in addition to the strength of the line might snap the bar off the boat. However, if your drag is set right...you would have ample time to pick up the rod and fight the fish.

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I mounted Yak-Attack tracks on the side rails to accept the ball mounts. I've got the Ram rod holders mounting to the balls.

To qualify the next statement, I will say my tackle is heavier for offshore use and the ball mounts do not support the weight and pressure while trolling with a diving lure. The side rail torques and the rod holders slowly fall down, needing repositioning often. Make sure you leash your rods.

The butt ends of my rods are too long for the depth of the Ram rod holders. I'm considering cutting the bottom out of one of my rod holders with my Dremel tool so my rod drops all the way up to the reel.

I want to move into lighter tackle, so that may aid the problem, but I will say catching fish offshore in a PA is worth any aggravation.