Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sorry for the delay, Grampa Spey,

My coverage is through The Hylant Group, here in Ann Arbor, Michigan. They've been in the industry, as I recall, for roughly 20 years and I know they can be found throughout North America.
Googling them should help find the information you need for your area. I don't know the "name" of the rider but if you need it, let me know and I will find out for you.

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just added a policy with State Farm to cover my 2 Hobies. I'm sure rates can vary by state, how long you've been with the insurance company, previous claims, age, etc.

For my PA with $2K personal property (covers what's added and in kayak), $2900 kayak replacement, $100K liability, $5K medical and a small $100 deductible, my rate will be $107 per year. The wife's Revo 11 is costing $68 a year with the same items except no personal property (she doesn't fish) and a $1900 kayak replacement figure covers hers.

So for about $175 a year I have them covered. My bass boat I sold was a little more, but not much. I've had boat insurance with State Farm since 1984 and been a policy holder since 1981.

No idea how my rates and coverage compare to others, but I'm fine with them. Since folks were asking, I thought I would share. I do not use a trailer. We can carry both in the pickup bed using the extender. I do have my auto and home insurance with State Farm as well.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SRAces wrote:
I just added a policy with State Farm to cover my 2 Hobies. I'm sure rates can vary by state, how long you've been with the insurance company, previous claims, age, etc.

For my PA with $2K personal property (covers what's added and in kayak), $2900 kayak replacement, $100K liability, $5K medical and a small $100 deductible, my rate will be $107 per year. The wife's Revo 11 is costing $68 a year with the same items except no personal property (she doesn't fish) and a $1900 kayak replacement figure covers hers.

So for about $175 a year I have them covered. My bass boat I sold was a little more, but not much. I've had boat insurance with State Farm since 1984 and been a policy holder since 1981.

No idea how my rates and coverage compare to others, but I'm fine with them. Since folks were asking, I thought I would share. I do not use a trailer. We can carry both in the pickup bed using the extender. I do have my auto and home insurance with State Farm as well.

Post subject: Re: Kayak Insurance
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steve, thanks for your reply.

We have been State Farm users since 1961.

We have an umbrella insurance policy for our liability. Our Malone Sport Trailer is covered for $16 per year.

Thanks to you, we will now have replacement insurance for our 2009 Oasis and my new Freedom Hawk/Bassyaks Pathfinder with a $200 deductible per yak.

Each yak will cost about $50 per year. They are listed as sail boats at this time by our agent.. Since I have a Windpaddle Sail that can fit on either yak, they are also sail boats.

SRAces wrote:

Post subject: Re: Kayak Insurance
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Grampa Spey wrote:
Steve, thanks for your reply.

We have been State Farm users since 1961.

We have an umbrella insurance policy for our liability. Our Malone Sport Trailer is covered for $16 per year.

Thanks to you, we will now have replacement insurance for our 2009 Oasis and my new Freedom Hawk/Bassyaks Pathfinder with a $200 deductible per yak.

Each yak will cost about $50 per year. They are listed as sail boats at this time by our agent.. Since I have a Windpaddle Sail that can fit on either yak, they are also sail boats.

Glad to hear about your insurance. I had my last bass boat for over a decade and never had to submit a claim. The piece of mind was worth it. I don't plan on having to use the policy on my Pro Angler, but you never know. These are plastic boats...lol.

My specific coverage ended up being:
$2,900 for the Pro Angler itself
$100,000 Watercraft liability
$4,000 Watercraft Medecial Payments
$2,000 Personal Property (covers everything else in/on the Pro Angler)

$100 deductible.

$107 per year for the PA. The wife's coverage is the same (minus the $2k personal property) and hers ran about $67 a year for the Revo 11. It's great piece of mind for a reasonable yearly price.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No doubt that insurance will provide peace of mind. The tougher question is whether the peace of mind is worth the premium paid. The only way to assess that is to know what the risk of a claim or payout actually is. The insurance companies have teams of green-visored actuaries who crunch the numbers in the back room making sure that their reward exceeds their risk. The only way to reasonably look at the flip side of the contract is to ask: Has anybody on this forum ever had a theft or accident that would have been covered under such a policy? If so, what was your estimated loss (or claim, if insured)?