Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SteveLIBS wrote:
What's the risk of deformation and ultimate tear-out with extended use/drag on the transducer? The aluminum mount is not going to flex. The plastic hull is. Are you counting on the transducer arm to do all the flexing, or are you also reinforcing the hull to prevent failure in the bung hole? Just curious. Thanks.

there are a bunch of people running this type of setup in Australia, on Outbacks, Revo's and PA's with no reported issues such as the one you describe.

we do recommend, that you only tighten the adapters to hand tight, and nip it up with a pair of pliers if you wish. We deliberately did not cut spanner notches in the adapter, so that people will not over tighten the adapter and damage the moulding in the hull.

if you make the transducer arm from a strip of 3mm aluminium connecting into the RAM mount, you will get some flex from the aluminium strip, and it will pivot up if the transducer does hit something in the water, or when beaching.

something akin to this:

Last edited by unrealshots on Sat May 12, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

unrealshots wrote:
why not mount from a Bung to RAM adapter on one of the rear bungs? I can get you supplied with an aluminium adapter for about $50 shipped to the US...

run the cable through a modified bung plug, and use a set of RAM mounts to attach your transducer...

akin to:

and similar to seen in this video around 2:50....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgUHt937Sk&feature=channel&list=UL[/youtube]

I'm intrested in these.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ring King wrote:
I bought one of these from unrealshots and I'm amazed at the product. The fit and finish is beautiful! Mine didn't have the notch in the plug so I'm still going to have to drill a hole for the transducer cable to run through. I can't believe no one here in the states has mass produced these things. As he said the drain plug is above the waterline and the aluminum bung came with a rubber grommets to seal it up when fully screwed in. I'm just waiting on my dealer to get a shipment in of the Humminbird 587ci HD DI units in so that I can get this thing mounted up!

Hi Matthew,

just saw this post about drilling the adapter to pass the cable into the hull - was discussing this with the guy who manufactures the adapter, and we feel that using a file about the same size as the cable would be the best way to get the groove into the adapter, however we both run our transducer cable over the deck, as it makes the entire sounder assembly removable, increasing portability between kayaks ... Personally, this allows me to fish from my Revolution or my Outback using the same sounder setup...

if you do notch out the adapter, make sure you fit the o-ring after you pass the cable through, and try to create a seal using silicon, so that if you get caught in waves, there is no possibility of water ingress through the notch...

For anyone interested in an adapter, they are back in stock! PM me if you are interested in one.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Unrealshots I sent pm.

'11 Tarpon 160
'14 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How would these work in a Revo? Do you have pic of it mounted in a Revo? I'm looking to mount a downimaging transducer for a Humminbird 788hd DI. The transducer is huge!

Chip
[email protected]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

gadgettr1 wrote:
How would these work in a Revo? Do you have pic of it mounted in a Revo? I'm looking to mount a downimaging transducer for a Humminbird 788hd DI. The transducer is huge!

Chip
[email protected]

They work great on a Revo, check the first picture for a mounting option if you didn't want to use all RAM components...

PM me if you are interested in purchasing one, I currently have several in stock... :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So they just thread into the plastic of the hull? Not a nut or some type of fitting that goes inside the hull?

Chip

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

gadgettr1 wrote:
So they just thread into the plastic of the hull? Not a nut or some type of fitting that goes inside the hull?

Chip

yep, they replace the plastic screw in bung that comes with the kayak, as well as an o-ring to seal...

there are a few guys here, as well as over at adventureislanders.com who are using them with great success :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I found this set up for a really cool DIY scubber mount

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index ... pic=3906.0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was just getting ready to purchase this $50 mount from Cabelas but it looks like the $2.00 is a great idea and may work just as well. I like the idea of being able to move the transducer up and down.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lowrance ... l+Products