Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Originally Posted by KAYAK WILLY;62357
well the morning started of ok. i got to the area were the fish have been bunker was there throw out the snag and i get one set it up for the big boys and i here this big slpash behind me must have been a 40' by the size of the tail rolling on bunker so my bunker take a crap. i snag another one rigg it up and with in seconds of me putting the rod in the holder the rod is doubled over and into the water .so as all of us do i leaned a little to far the rod was ripped out of the holder and in the water so i went for it .and boy did i get a rude awakening i flipped .i tryed not to panic i got the yak over but now its filled with water in the front hatch .now the mind is turning
how do i get in ..well it did not work and i did not have my radio it was at the bottom. so now i start waving my flag blowing my wistle .there were boats around but they
could not here me .so after 30min in water my legs are starting to cramp up not a good feeling .so now i call 911 from my cell phone and at this point a boat see's me . he pulls me up on his boat .my drypaint were not dry any more they were ful of water up to my knees. by the time i got in his boat the police show up then the fdny and the nypd they were very nice and very helpfull ...and im glad i had my cell ohone in dry box...there were a lot of lessons learned today

red flag they could not see
radio lost did not have it clipped
did not fish with a fellow yaker
and dont lea for a rod in the water pull the leash da .............

http://youtu.be/OIDL--odMEE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I read about your ordeal today on Noreast. thank God that your OK. be safe out there kayak Willie and I hope to run into you on the water. Tight line's

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey there KAYAKWILLIE. Glad you made it home safe. I was out in my PA at the same time as you, only on the north shore. The PA is a stable craft, but I guess one can never be too careful. Get yourself a new radio and keep it clipped, and get back out there while the bass are biting!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

im heading out tomorrow if this wind lays down may hit nissy been doing ok there

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good to see you're ok Will. Good to see you posting your experience on different forums, the more people you make aware, the more will be safer!

Why Nissy? Thought you were coming to Shinnecock with us?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Glad you are ok Willy. I saw your post on you tube. Very glad you had your cell phone.

I have been kayak fishing since 2004. I just got my PA in February. Knock on wood...I have never turtled any of my kayaks. I hope to never. With that said, it is very concerning to hear from PA owners that there is always water in the hull from the front hatch anytime it is turned over. I've read that there are mods that can be done to prevent this but, it should be a standard device for the PA in my opinion. On any of my other SOT kayaks, my family and I frequently tip each other for fun...we never had to worry about water going into the hull.

Especially since we are talking about situations that could mean life or death. I would have rather seen a modified hatch that would prevent water going in the hull rather than a more comfortable/adjustable seat as in the PA12.

Don't mean to hijack your thread.

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sorry if this was already brought up,
Regarding the recent tipping incident, can anyone tell us if the front hatch was fully latched? If not, this may have allowed water to enter into the storage hold. Either way, it's good practice to make a habit of securely fastening the bungee cords on both the tackle storage and front hatch at all times and without exception. It's all to easy to think they don't need fastening in low wind/ small wave scenarios.

So much to remember but well worth the time spent...

GR8 Laker