Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got mine a few weeks ago in NH... I love it! They had 2 in(now one).

Also the Hobie customer service as this is my first Hobie. It had some foam blocks that got loosened up in transport but an email to Hobie and I got a quick email back and a telephone call with someone explaining exactly how to place them. You guys are awesome!

Finally I can drag the dog around on the yak while I'm fishing as the PA12 is very stable.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

cancel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Took mine offshore sunday. Caught a bunch of Big Bonnies, nothing worth taking photos of, but I was very impressed with the stability. Managed 4.5 mph into the winds and chop. It started out 1'-2' seas in the morning and quickly became 2-3' seas with an occasional 4' and it made it through ok. Here is mine rigged.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

@ Burnham, which dealer did you get yours from?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I like you rod holders. Can you give more info on them? :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

after seeing the 2 side by side

I'm so glad i have the 14 since i am a bigger guy. (6'3" 250#)

I can see some potential problems with the seat.... it seems kinda flimsy! also was watching someone demo one, and they pinched their hand trying to adjust the seat too. and with the seat being in the up position, i can see a lot of noobs takin a flip into the water.

Also i didnt like the center hatch thing flip thingy compared to the 14's bucket. Someone even commented if a woman designed that. (I actually take my bucket out and with me to the beach when i do some surf fishin!, kinda handy!)

And on sunday I flipped my PA in some choppy seas in the gulf of mexico (intentionally in 15-20' of water) to see how a self rescue would be, rocked it side to side till over i went and the Pa flipped upside down. I got under it then i was able to easily flip it over by getting under hefting it over one side on it's side then yanking the other side over then swam around the back and got on that way...fell off again as a roller got me as i was hovering over the seat, but was able to get back on...

granted the only thing i had on it were my wheels and some suncreen...and was much easier to do than i was expecting....now i had i been loaded down with stuff, that could be a diffeent story.

probably took on less than a gallon of water (probably got thru the hole for my fish finder wires)

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

BigAl wrote:
@ Burnham, which dealer did you get yours from?

I got it from Aldens of Sunapee in Newport NH. They have one more left(as of Sunday) in the Dune color.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Walleye11 wrote:
I like you rod holders. Can you give more info on them? :)

Mine are the 72023013 RAM TUBE
(PLASTIC) PIVOT ROD HOLDER (1.5")

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jagerschnapps1 wrote:
Took mine offshore sunday. Caught a bunch of Big Bonnies, nothing worth taking photos of, but I was very impressed with the stability. Managed 4.5 mph into the winds and chop. It started out 1'-2' seas in the morning and quickly became 2-3' seas with an occasional 4' and it made it through ok. Here is mine rigged.

That's an interesting live baitwell setup you have. Can you elaborate on it? I see an overflow pipe and the aerator. Does it just aerate the existing water or is there fresh water pumped in that you can't see? Thanks!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Burnham. I've been waiting for mine to arrive at Benson's in Derry. Getting a bit crazy seeing them drop everywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

BigAl wrote:
Thanks Burnham. I've been waiting for mine to arrive at Benson's in Derry. Getting a bit crazy seeing them drop everywhere.

Did you get one of the initial two? I think those have already been delivered everywhere...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

@SRAces -

My baitwell is a dog food bin from Petsmart. It has an overflow and aerator. The aerator stone is about 3'' long purchased from the pet shop. I have experimented building several different types with pumps and with out. I can hold up to 4 goggle eyes and 6 pilchards or just keep a dozen pilchards by dumping in a few big gulp cups of water every one in a while. Im not opposed to using pump but I need to save weight where possible and this set up works fine for me.

Also about the PA 12, I wanted the shorter boat for getting into the tight mangrove tunnels down here. I'm 6-2 200lbs and I have poor balance due to a back injury. I can stand fine on this boat. The seat is very comfortable and not at all flimsy. I didnt buy this boat for offshore fishing as I have my revo but I am so happy with it after the intial trip I can see taking it out more often.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jagerschnapps1 wrote:
@SRAces -

My baitwell is a dog food bin from Petsmart. It has an overflow and aerator. The aerator stone is about 3'' long purchased from the pet shop. I have experimented building several different types with pumps and with out. I can hold up to 4 goggle eyes and 6 pilchards or just keep a dozen pilchards by dumping in a few big gulp cups of water every one in a while. Im not opposed to using pump but I need to save weight where possible and this set up works fine for me.

Also about the PA 12, I wanted the shorter boat for getting into the tight mangrove tunnels down here. I'm 6-2 200lbs and I have poor balance due to a back injury. I can stand fine on this boat. The seat is very comfortable and not at all flimsy. I didnt buy this boat for offshore fishing as I have my revo but I am so happy with it after the intial trip I can see taking it out more often.

Thanks for the reply! I salute your ingenuity! It's a great looking setup you have. Did you fish the classic in Jax this year? I did in my PA14 and had a great time.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, I've supposedly got one of their two, but I'm getting a bit suspicious. I paid for mine on May 5th. I'm actually up in VT, so I haven't been able to stop by in person and see what's up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

BigAl wrote:
Yes, I've supposedly got one of their two, but I'm getting a bit suspicious. I paid for mine on May 5th. I'm actually up in VT, so I haven't been able to stop by in person and see what's up.

I would be suspicious too... The truck mine came from apparently stopped in mass then southern nh then headed to my dealer(two weeks ago now).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next