Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: To be fair
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I read the first blurbs about the new PA12, I immediately did something that I'm guessing a lot of folks did and will do over next little bit - I compared it to the PA14 which probably isn't fair.

Instead, it might be better to look at the PA12 against any other 12 foot fishing kayak. While it might come up short against the PA14 (hey, it's giving up 2 feet in length and a few inches in width) it doesn't seem to come up short against the type of 12 foot fishing kayak that has become the norm. Suddenly it's not less than the 14 - it's more than any other 12 foot kayak.

Post subject: Re: To be fair
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:24 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Tom that is a GREAT perspective!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Guilty! I did the same. Great post Tom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Still, PA to PA is at least papayas to papayas.

We rightfully compare (for example) the Ford F150 to the 250 and 350, so noting what the PA14 has that the PA12 doesn't - and vice versa - is at least as proper.

That said, Tom's perspective is perceptive.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The comparison would 'hold water' if Hobie wasn't replacing the PA14 with the PA12. Hobie is comparing the two that way, not you or me. If they were interested in expanding their PA line-up, that would be great, but they aren't. I can't say it's a better kayak for fishing or not, but I do know the PA14 was designed for fishing. Is the PA12 or is the PA12 some sort of compromise to make it more 'kayak' like. I don't know.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SkiPro3 wrote:
The comparison would 'hold water' if Hobie wasn't replacing the PA14 with the PA12.

Is Hobie looking to discontinue the PA14?

Thanks in advance. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Has Hobie said that they will, in fact, no longer be making the PA14?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:22 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

The PA14 is not being discontinued. There will be two Pro Anglers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:

No - why would we discontinue the best selling 'Person Fishing Craft' we've ever built - The PA 14 isn't going anywhere.
The PA 12 is just a new model, it isn't replacing anything guys.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jbernier wrote:
Tom Kirkman wrote:

No - why would we discontinue the best selling 'Person Fishing Craft' we've ever built - The PA 14 isn't going anywhere.
The PA 12 is just a new model, it isn't replacing anything guys.

Jacques (and Brendan),

Thank you for sharing your inputs on the PA12 and the fact that the PA14 is here to stay. It's great that Hobie is offering 2 versions of the PA. For those that seem dissappointed that they bought a PA14 and now the PA12 is out, you have to make a decision sometimes or you will never own one.

Are there some features I like about the PA12? Yes there are. Am I dissappointed I got my PA14 just a few months before the PA12 came out? Definitely not!

The fun part about owning these fishing kayaks is the ability to customize it to suit your individual needs based on all the accessories available and inputs/photos from other PA owners. Both have their unique advantages that a prospective owner will need to consider.

Keep up the great innovations!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:33 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

SRAces - Thank you for the positive feedback. You will love your PA14! There's a reason they sell as fast or faster than we can make them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's great news, expanding the PA line to a second model. I don't think that was clear. At least to me it wasn't clear. I thought it was more like the Hummer; H1, H2, H3 where it was a model change, not a new additional model.

Cheers!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Same here. When the poster said it was a replacement I couldn't find anywhere that Hobie had said the 14 was being phased out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie has a winner with its orginal PA, and they will keep improving that model

Now, Hobie has a winner for what I call the back of the pickup yak guys like me. My criteria now for any new yak is simple, "Can I fit it into and secure it in the back of my Ridgeline without or with the bed extender by myself."

At my age, I don't put gear in my yak for a 12 hour + day. 4-6 hours is about all that I want to fish or be on the water. The PA12 will easily hold any gear I need, basically two rods and some terminal fishing gear, tea/water/juice and a few granola bars.

The bow shape should be able to handle my concerns about wind, tide and waves. My new FH Pathfinder with a similiar bow performs very well in 10-12 mph wind and the waves created by that wind. This new PA should have no problem with a similiar bow shape. It should avoid the wet butts when one rides in a Revo 11 or Scout. It should be more sea worthy than the Outback in water conditions I have noted at the top of this paragraph.

The new seat may be the most comfortable and best on the yak market. My Freedom Hawk elite seat is excellent and very comfortable, but this seat may be a better deal for an old guy.

This will probably not be the only PA addition. I predict that Hobie will come out with a Tandem PA, even longer than the bigger one now.

Tom Kirkman wrote:
When I read the first blurbs about the new PA12, I immediately did something that I'm guessing a lot of folks did and will do over next little bit - I compared it to the PA14 which probably isn't fair.

Instead, it might be better to look at the PA12 against any other 12 foot fishing kayak. While it might come up short against the PA14 (hey, it's giving up 2 feet in length and a few inches in width) it doesn't seem to come up short against the type of 12 foot fishing kayak that has become the norm. Suddenly it's not less than the 14 - it's more than any other 12 foot kayak.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was fishing a small river about 50yds wide with shoals yesterday. The guide I went with kinda chuckled when I showed up with the 14' PA. Well I gotta say I've had this kayak for over two years and have always used other "River" kayaks when fishing these areas because I was always told "you can't take that in a river". We'll I did and I liked it. The we would float down river about 2 miles and fish then pedal/paddle up and float back while fishing. When going up river I was leaving the guide behind and all I could hear was "hey wait up" he was in a 14' SOT paddle kayak. I was able to flutter pedal/paddle thru the shoals upstream in 6-7" of water that's where he would start to gain ground on me, but then once out of the shoals I would leave him behind again. The only thing I could think about was performing this flat in a 12' PA where I could turn a little quicker.