Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bait tube setup on PA
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone tried using a bait tube on a PA before? (basically a 4" PVC tube with caps and holes drilled into it and a sliding door for bait access).
Anyone care to share their setup?
I was considering getting the hobie live-well but figured it'd probably be more pain than it's worth and the loss of storage space in the back is a concern for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just consider drag. That will make the PA track to the side it is on. Its about waterflow that makes it glide thru the water. WOW! That sounded wierd. Just my thoughts. :shock:

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

even my stringer of fish causes quite a bit of turbulence if going faster than 2mph.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

to help your boat track better drill the leading cap hole dead center so it will drag behind or on the side of your boat like a torpedo instead of bobbing around left right up down like giant top water bait..lol

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I thought about making one of those. I went to Home Depot and test fitted the caps on one of the precut 4" pvc pipes. I had a difficult time taking it off once it was placed on there. It wasn't even glued :shock: ..I don't believe I have a week grip...especially after years of wrestling and BJJ. I said to heck with it and stuck with my plaine old plano bait bucket.

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've seen an improvement on this design where you cut a square window in the main bait tube body then you take another tube and cut it so that you can wrap it around the main tube.
You attach a knob to the tube that wraps around the main bait tube and you pretty much have a 'slide to open' window.
Seems like a good design and eliminates the need to remove the end caps for access.

Florida can get real hot real quick so an onboard bait bucket will pretty much cook everything in it.
I tried using a bait bucket once, shrimp lasted about 20 minutes before they were ready for some cocktail sauce.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I tried it once, and the drag was annoying. It would periodically bump the boat as well, likely scaring anything withing a short distance. I don't recommend it.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:01 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

I'm not much of a fisherman but I did get into it for a little while. I made a bait tube out of some drain pipe, about 4 inch diameter that already has some holes in it, a couple drain covers with domed tops, and some rope. I drilled some more holes in the pipe and it seemed to work fine. The caps pop off easily enough to get bait out. Super cheap and worked good enough for me. I don't remember any issues with drag. Run a line long enough so it clears the back of the kayak and it wont bump anymore.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought about building one of these but got a Frabil Flow Troll bucket instead. See http://www.cabelas.com/cast-nets-bait-t ... adType=pla
The advantage is that I can stand this behind the seat while actively trolling or getting onto the fish. Then hang it over the side on a line while drifting or jigging. Although OK for short hops, I would not really try to do any serious trolling with this dragging behind me. Works fine for me, though.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim_MI wrote:
I thought about building one of these but got a Frabil Flow Troll bucket instead. See http://www.cabelas.com/cast-nets-bait-t ... adType=pla
The advantage is that I can stand this behind the seat while actively trolling or getting onto the fish. Then hang it over the side on a line while drifting or jigging. Although OK for short hops, I would not really try to do any serious trolling with this dragging behind me. Works fine for me, though.

I have one of those Frabill bait buckets as well. I made a 5 foot red shock cord with 2 big plastic clips on it. One clip fastens to the handle of the Frabill bucket and the other I wrap around the side rail and clip to the shock cord. When I need to get shrimp or mud minnows out, I just pull it in and bring the bucke tonboard long enough to get the bait and then put the bucket back out.

I have trolled with it out back and it doesn't affect anything drag wise. If you peddle fast, it does create a wake though. I have trolled slowly and caught fish with the bucket out and had no issues. Keeping the bait bucket in the water all the time ensures the live bait stays very lively especially in the heat of the sun in my neck of the woods.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass