Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scupper Mount question
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all, I am planning to purchase the Lowrance Scupper Mount Transducer kit. I have a Pro Angler and plan to install the transducer in the right rear scupper hole (I don't use a scupper cart). My question is has any one experienced interference from scupper holes ahead of the one I intend to use or :?: from the Mirage Drive fin action.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't specifically answer your question but will say that I bought one and was briefly looking at the fit the other day. It doesn't appear that the lower part of the scupper mount will seat - even partially - into the scupper hole on the PA, leaving the transducer sticking out below the boat instead of nestled into and protected by the curves in the hull as it appears to be on the Outback and others. I was sure my first time out with the scupper mounted transducer I would forget about it sticking out below the hull and drag the boat onto the beach, possibly ripping out my transducer. I didn't spend a lot of time on it so there may be others who have had success. And someone else may also be able to answer your question about interference from the scupper or Mirage drive (though I don't think either will be a problem if you do successfully get a good fit from the scupper mount).

_____
_<>-+ copterchief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

On my PA 14, I used the left rear scupper mount for my Lowrance transducer (PA 14). Although it sits in the groove at a slight angle (leaning to the right), I have had no trouble with it. I have to be careful loading onto the trailer lifting the right side slightly while sliding it over the rear cradle. In use, I found occaisonally where the transducer had rotated 180 degrees or so while being beached or in heavy marsh grasses. The depth readings were impossibly deep or shallow. I corrected by beaching, reaching under the hyull & twisting the transducer back into correct orientation.

I have not noticed any interference with the mirage drive although I have never used the forward scupper holes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've had no problem with any disturbance from the drive.

For the other guys, for the mount. Cut off the small 2 little sides to the lower mount at the transducer. This will bring the mount further up into the hull.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I went ahead and purchased and installed the transducer mount as stated. I had to use the Dremel tool to cut and round off the first plastic peace and the rubber second peace. Every thing pushed up and sits nicely in the scupper hole. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think I was one of the first people to install the Lowrance Scupper kit earlier this year, so I can give you an update on how the install faired over the course of 6 months of rugged testing (ie: dragging across the beach, surf launching/recovery, bottoming out on oyster beds and rocks, etc., and dragging across a concrete boat ramp. After six months of hard use, my trimmed mounting bracket for the transducer snapped off clean. Fortunately, it did not damage the transducer mounting rails. The break happened along the grooves where the transducer slides and locks in.

Another usage experience I can convey is that I highly encourage replacing the standard plastic mast screw as it will bend and distort over time potentially damaging the thread pattern or worse weaken the mast itself.

One other suggestion is that you use LEXEL of Goop where the nylon wingnut tightens/secures the plastic mast against the top retaining bracket where the cap clips on. A little dab will help ensure the wing nut does not loosen over time. I had to tighten mine up after every trip on the water.

I like the initial design concept, but in my opinion, the execution was not the best - an exposed transducer on a vessel that is already navigating in areas of shallow water relative to power boats is not the ideal situation when you are dealing with the costs of some of these electronics, like my Elite 5 DSI ($629 from BPS). I know my heart palpated a tad when I went to load my Revolution 13 the last time out and noticed the transducer dangling free below my kayak. If I had been recovering on a concrete ramp that day or happened to cross over an unexpected oyster bed, the outcome could have been potenttially worse.

PowerTeam Lures - deadly on bass!!! use promo code "HANOVER" at checkout for a 15% discount