Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Since I first bought my first Hobie mirage drive back in 2006 I wanted a motor on iy. The potential is so extreme it's capabilities are untapped. I've owned a few mirage drives over the last few years, but by far the PA is the most versatile concerning fishing. In the past the technology has simply not been there, except for the DIY installs which were not that impressive. Believe me, I've done the research on this; especially after the Evolve came out. Then other manufaturers jumped on board and had their renditions of kayak motors. With somewhat of a base to work with now in the form of options the quest began to finally put it all together. Anyone whom knows me will tell you I'm a straight shooter with no fluff what-so-ever. I was steering twards the Evolve, then discovered the turbine noise and battery life; not saying it isn't a nice system...but for what I'm paying there were other options.
In my opinion, within three years 30% of the kayaks will be using motors; at least the guys concerned with catching more fish. My journey in this quest lead me to Bassyaks in Conn., they install both Evolve motors and Minn Kota set-ups SPECIFICALLY designed for your kayak. They have not done many PA, but had the right custom made supplies to rig out my PA exactly to what I needed. I opted for the Minn Kota 55# thrust for it's reliability and quiet fuctioning, all other options were upgraded to maximize performance. The battery options were vast, but I needed something to allow me to be on the water fishing in any conditions for a minimum of seven hours...although I rarely fish for more than five. The potential to now reach all those spots that were too far, or chase down working birds; or cover an area too much to peddle are all within my grasp now. The game will change forever now. All it takes is one person to launch this concept, and through pictures of what it can do a new reality of kayak fishing will emerge. I'm raising my hand on this one, because the game will never be the same again. Wheather you choose the Evolve or anything else; it's a move in the right direction.
The owner of Bassyaks, Steve, asked me not to do detailed pics on his set-up; simply put people will be stealing his ideas. The set-up is comepletely out-of-the-box mentallity as to what's out there now. The function is done with purpose, and hands free fishing(you steer with your feet). The motor and batteries are removable, so there's little issue with moving this thing around. I will be talking/posting pics once the weather breaks and allows me to finish the final set-up. It will deliver, as all prior posts have. It's funny putting something together with no blueprints, much like redesigning the wheel. The only thing I feel sorry for is the fish, more to come. MJ.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:20 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

sifisto wrote:
The owner of Bassyaks, Steve, asked me not to do detailed pics on his set-up; simply put people will be stealing his ideas.
That doesn't surprise me with him. I'm glad he's put together a nice system for you though -- am looking forward to seeing it -- in all its detail! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stop for a moment and consider the advantages of simply powering the mirage drive. A heavy duty windshield wiper motor fastened to the drive, coupled to a pedal arm by a linkage which can be adjusted for stroke length. In deep water you power the fins across the full range of motion. In shallower water, you move the linkage so that the fins only move a short distance from up against the hull.

Don't laugh. It's been done and it beats the stuffing out of a trolling motor.

Last edited by Tom Kirkman on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom, That system may work; but I wasn't pulling a Sanford and Son on "my" ride. I love the Hobie design in it's entirety(the steering is alright..but), but decided to max out my potentials adding a motor to it. At anytime you can peddle,paddle(not that I'd ever do it); or use the electric motor. I've fished around guys all last season using the electric versions on their kayaks, and I was most envious. If the guy who gets out once a week is happy with the standard issue yak, by all means stay that way. If you're fishing over five days a week in all sorts of weather, then it's a nice option.
I remember fluke fishing last year in some real snotty weather killing the fish, but the wind would push you hundreds of feet while you unhooked your catch. It was way too much work, fun yes; but wore me out. With the motor I can put it in slow speed and stay in position. The options are too vast to remain idle with a steadfast mentality. Let's reiterate, it's not for everyone; but those whom dare will reap the rewards.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree - we powered our PA's as soon as we got them. It's a nice option to have when you spend an hour or more getting to the fishing grounds. It allows you to motor out there while you stay occupied rigging up and getting ready.

But a motorized mirage drive ends up being better than a trolling motor. I've wondered why Hobie hasn't offered such a package themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom, can you give anymore info on the new trolling motor for the PA.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not at this time.

Last edited by Tom Kirkman on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom, very cool video; it seems people are working overtime to put motors on these once paddle/peddle crafts. Should be an interesting concept, those PA's were moving along very nice. One thing to remember about about this particular set-up if using the existing mirage drive...it still cannot go in reverse.
I'm not knocking it in anyway, technology is awsome and we all gain by it. At the suggested price of $500 it's within anyones price range, and that's a breath of fresh air. Thanks for sharing the info. MJ. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you need to go back, just turn around. That's how must humans do it when on foot (you turn around - you don't walk backwards). In all the years I've been kayaking fishing (12) I've never needed to go in reverse. Not saying someone won't, but I don't see that as any great feature. It's a non issue for us.

By the way, the video was of a trolling motor equipped PA. You can't see the motor because it's enclosed under the water line. Nothing to see from above and no modifications need to be made to the PA.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

motor on a PA is a natural upgrade, in New york you have to title it thats 80 dollars and register 20-30 dollars and take the safe boaters course and your good. Take the real course because other states dont recognize the online course.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Remy, My boaters safety course is in Feb. I'd of done the Jan. one, but was in Conn. with Bssyaks the day of the class. My friend just dropped off the two Optima Marine batteries to my house, if the ice/snow would just go away I'd mount this stuff. Anxious, because I've waited a long time to get to this point.
When you chip away at something a little each day, the finish line seems well within your reach. Needless to say, I'm psyched.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Not just yet. A piece is being manufactured that works in conjunction with the standard rear handle. It holds a motor, completely unobtrusive and out of view. The control panel is mounted into the hull to the left of right of the seat. Here's a video that gives you a sneak peek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0rrs43YKms

There is nothing to see - everything is compact, hidden, and underwater, but not in harms way. It is moving into production. Expected to sell for under $500 complete, including motor, battery, wiring harness and control panel.

Tom, checking in to see how things are going with this system...any news when it will be made available?

Thanks in advance for any information.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It works perfectly. But I have no timeline for when it will be commercially available. That part is sort of out of my hands.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, I've been away for a while, but everything is going fine in the motorized PA. You learn a lot reinventing the wheel, so here comes some new stuff.
As much as I like using the smaller batteries due to their weight, fishing in the normal adverse conditions depleated their energy withing five hours.
I opted for a much larger 70 Amp hr Optima battery at 60#, which should last up to seven hours use under normal conditions. Originally I had the bigger battery up front, but found I was taking excess water over the bow in two ft swells. The motor pushed the hull through the waves rather than glide through them. I then mounted the battery behind me in a sealed battery container, and it made a huge difference. The bow rose when motor was in use, I had much more control over the yak and everything seemed much more balanced. I'll use the smaller batteries on small trips fluke fishing where I'm only on the water for four hours or much less. The bassyak system delivers, and it would be very hard to go back to using the mirage drive solo. I've been out with the motor four times, all in bad weather; only into fish once but caught a bunch. As the fishing here only improves having the motor will be priceless. I've covered a wicked amount of new ground fishing, and that will again only get better.
I had to remodify my cart to handle the new weight being carried, that wasn't a big deal, and the mod came out awesome.
Pictures to follow at some point. I'm waiting to post some pics with fish. If your contemplating getting a motor do so, it's worth the effort and will change everything. There is more work involved carring stuff, but the payout is huge. More to come. MJ.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

@Tom, Humans often walk backwards for particular reasons and I have to say, I often fish from my Adventure going backwards. It adds a whole new dimension to jigging, trolling lures with the mirage drive in backwards and travelling in reverse. You say you just turn around, reverse is not needed, on rivers and pulling into snags, the kayaks are longer than they are wider and it is often impossible to just turn around. I for 1 would love to see a reverse and I believe like foot pedal drive changed the way we fish from kayaks, adding a new dimension like reverse, would change the way we fish even more.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next