Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Nissan Xterra that has the parallel and horizontal roof rack system standard from the dealer. Can I strap my PA directly to the roof rack or do I need to purchase saddles for it? If so, what kind of saddles would I need to purchase?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi
i would go onto the yakima site www.yakima.com
i found for my jeep hully rollers and mako sadles work well

thoray

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Agreed, the Hully Roller and Mako Yakima combination on the Universal Mighty Mounts is fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I, too, have the Yakima Mako Aero Saddles and Hulley Rollers on my Toyota Highlander. I also have the Showboat Roller to help with loading. Investing in a good transport system was well worth the money as it has made it easy for me to be on the water often. I'd hate to see the PA go unused over difficulty getting it to the water! This rig makes it easy.

Here's a picture and a previous post about my setup.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=22283

Here's my setup with some measurements I provided for another PA owner.

TDK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi TDK
i have just been looking at your set up.what is the distance between each hully roller on the cross bar,and what is the distance between each saddle on the cross bar
i have been moving mine around to try and support the pa better,i would just like to see if my set up could be improved
thanks

thoray

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

thoray wrote:
hi TDK
i have just been looking at your set up.what is the distance between each hully roller on the cross bar,and what is the distance between each saddle on the cross bar
i have been moving mine around to try and support the pa better,i would just like to see if my set up could be improved
thanks

thoray

Thoray,

I revised the above picture with the additional measurements.

TDK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I ended up going with the http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/Watersports/WatersportCarriers/196658.aspx Thule Slipstream 88yXT mount for my Xterra. It actually makes it quite easy to load/unload.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an xterra and i bought a few noodles that the kids put in the pool. I used extra strength zip ties to put them on the cross bars and waaaaalaaaaa no sliding around. then strap down by the front and rear cross bar and use a line to tie the handles down. the noodles keep it from sliding around and only cost me 3.00 for the whole thing. check out my rig on snaggedline.com. I am fjarhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is there any alternative roof rack you can recommend that I can use? I just don't want something that is universal I want a rack that fits exactly with my trucks dimensions.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had 6 Yakima Mako saddles on my 1/4 ton Bantam trailer to store and transport my PA, over time and after 100 degree days I ended up with several dents in the hull from the saddles. As long as you use the saddles to transport your PA only I would think you would be ok, just store your PA somewhere else and don't leave the PA strapped tightly when you are not transporting it on the saddles.
You may tire of getting your heavy PA on top of your vehicle after a few tries, a lot easier to load on a trailer.................
Just my .02 from my experience.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the yakima saddles. They worked great with the smaller boats, but I didn't like them at all with the pro angler. Instead, I adapted the Tom Kirkman Trailer Mount System to the roof of my SUV as shown in the pic below; and it works awesome (thanks Tom!). The pipes were carefully positioned to flex and conform to the shape of the troughs when I slide the boat on. The boat slides easily on and off, and I just lash it down to the cross bars for local travel - for highway travel I tie down the bow and stern as well; and it keeps the hull off of the cross-bars, which will deform and discolor the hull. For $6 worth of pipe it's quite a bargain over any other system I've seen. The only issue I have is that the xterra has a window wash spray smack dab over the rear door where I lean the boat when putting it up or taking it down.