Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

...if I can find one that is. What do I look for though? How do I decide if I want a 12 or a 14? My fishing for now is confined to lakes, both big and smaller ones. Are there any must have accessories?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You've asked some big questions, and unfortunately there are no easy answers...The 12 and 14 PAs are similar but very different, if that makes any sense :) There are pros and cons with each. If you look, there is a thread or two on this forum where owners of both !2 and 14s compare them to each other. You'll get some answers there that will help you decide, because its hard to make a good decision if you don't know what questions to ask :idea:

I would recommend taking a look at both, and test driving them at a local dealer's demo day if possible. Both PAs are suited to lakes or ocean...

When I bought my PA-14 I didn't test drive it first, or have any accessories when I took my first trip out on the water to go fishing. It performed great, other than a steering issue that Hobie later fixed and made available for all the PAs. The PA is a great fishing platform, even without adding accessories that aren't included with a new PA. Once you've decided on which PA you want (12 or 14), I would recommend just going out with nothing other than what you'd normally take on a fishing trip (rod & reel, bait and/or tackle, safety gear, maybe something to eat & drink, etc..). Then afterwards, think about what would be nice to have added to the PA to make the fishing experience more enjoyable, a must-have for you, or safer, etc...You don't have to buy or accessorize before your first trip out. The PA has everything you need to get started. As time passes you'll probably browse many kayak fishing websites lookiing at different accessories and you'll get many ideas to customize your PA...And with each new idea, you'll have questions...Thats why a forum like Hobie's is so great. Guaranteed...Whatever the situation, problem, or experience... Someone on this forum can relate and will help you. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well put Yakfish! :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just have to find a good dealer now because the two within three hours of me have proven to be completely inept with one hand not having a clue what the other is doing. Oh well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike,

Sorry to hear the dealers near you don't seem to have a handle on Hobie products and the PA. I spoke to 3 before I purchased mine and went with the final dealer because the salesperon came highly recommended. My dealer took very good care of me during the research/purchase process.

I ordered some well nuts from one dealer while in that dealer's area (4 hours from me) for a military reunion. They couldn't even get a simple order for parts right or quote the right final price, so I know how you feel. It's not the product's fault. It just boils down to how well business people want to cultivate a loyal customer base.

The group here will gladly honestly answer any concerns you might have. If you let us know what part of the country you're in, I'm sure a good dealer can be recommended.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you decide on the 14, you have to do the seat slider mod!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yea I don't see it as a reflection on Hobie. There's no way they can police every dealer they have. I may just order the thing and pay to have it shipped to the house.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I picked mine up today along with the trolley, from Megrews Boat is Charleston,R.I
I think she has a few more.
I'm mounting a Bassyaks motor on it tomorrow and off we go Saturday, rain or shine.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SteveK wrote:
I picked mine up today along with the trolley, from Megrews Boat is Charleston,R.I
I think she has a few more.
I'm mounting a Bassyaks motor on it tomorrow and off we go Saturday, rain or shine.

Welcome to the PA family!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass