Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Do most of y'all keep the 4 small scuppers in the seat area plugged or not. Any reason to not take the plugs out? I plan to take mine offshore quite a bit and think this would help.

What is the purpose of the small threaded hole on top of the rudder stearing "handle"? (not sure what to call it)

I just got my my PA 14 a few weeks ago and have only had it out a few times but love it! It seems to be everything I hoped it would be. Hope to make my first BTB trip this weekend if the weather holds.

Thanks for looking and have a great day!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wouldn't consider leaving mine in. The self-bailing feature of the Pro-Angler is one of the reasons it's such a great boat.

The small threaded bore in the steering handle is, I believe, so you can install a knob there for greater purchase on the steering toggle. I haven't found it necessary, but that's just me. Others no doubt like the knob.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
I wouldn't consider leaving mine in. The self-bailing feature of the Pro-Angler is one of the reasons it's such a great boat.

The small threaded bore in the steering handle is, I believe, so you can install a knob there for greater purchase on the steering toggle. I haven't found it necessary, but that's just me. Others no doubt like the knob.

Wonder if I can find one of the old time Skull Head knobs? :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I left the seat scuppers in on mine because I almost never get even a drop of water inside my PA-14 except what sloshes in the drive hole. But last time out, I fished through four hours of light rain, and the area under the seat did fill up a bit.

The only reason those scuppers are capped would be to keep water from gushing upward in rough seas - something we might call the "Bidet Effect."

On the steering handle knob, I made a nifty one by gluing a short section of bolt into a golf ball. Looked great, but the ball hit the left grab rail, limiting rudder travel in left turns. So any knob you may want to install needs a narrow "stem" tall enough to clear the grab rail.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The "bidet effect" made me laugh!!! Kind of what I though about them though. I have mine open and plan to keep it that way but was just curious about others thoughts.

I never even thought about using a knob! Sometimes I just don't see the obvious I guess lol. I don't see a need for it though, my steared just fine.

Thanks for all the quick responses.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you cut out a hole on the bottom of your seat you ship will have a head :lol: :lol: :lol: Make sure you remove the plugs first :lol: :lol: :lol:

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

RockyRaab wrote:
The only reason those scuppers are capped would be to keep water from gushing upward in rough seas - something we might call the "Bidet Effect."

Very funny!!! :lol:

I have paddled in some extremely rough seas and by golly, never experience the "Bidet Effect" or had any water come up through those scuppers under the seat.