Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PA 12 vs PA 14
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I weigh in at 200lb and stand 5'-11" tall and fish out of the PA12 a lot.
No problems standing up at all. I even pull crab traps using the PA12 and it's fine.

I think the PA12 is super nice when navigating canals and doing dock fishing. Being shorter by ~2' really allows you to manuever nicely and get a perfect approach and position for those docks.

I've never taken it offshore though, the furthest I've been from land is about a mile but I have no doubts it'll do fine several miles out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hallscreek - thank you for sharing this outstanding review. I actually joined this forum just to respond to this thread in that I'm considering a 2014 PA14. I own a OK Trident 13' and absolutely love it, but thinking of upgrading nonetheless.

I do wish they had the better seating or at least seating as good as the new Jackson Big Rig for the PA14, or like you said the PA12 seating. My only semi-holdback/concern at the moment is the Hobie tuckaway rudder, found a few reviews of Hobie veterans stating it was just a poor designed rudder. I would likely have to upgrade after being spoiled to my Tridents custom rudder if I procure a PA14. I built my own custom rudder that looks near identical to the ACK version but much better in terms of strength, weight and materials vs the synthetic version. So I'm confident I could at least mount an aftermarket or build my own on a PA14.

Being a technical guy, I really like the benchmark you did, while non-scientific as you put it, I've yet to find anyone else GPS benchmark both models, so kudos to you sir. I'm leaning toward the 14 vs 12 overall, I guess the weight isn't that big a deal with the dolly. Not interested in trailering it, like my extend a truck setup. Big difference between 120 lbs vs 75 lbs, but imagine it's manageable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hallscreek,
Hobie must have been reading your mind because the new PA 14 has the vantage seat, Lowrance ready, and a flush access hatch to the tackle storage area so the floor is relatively flat.
Katchulater
2013 PA 14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am intruding this thread with a PA14 vs. Outback comparison. I live in NJ and I am located within a mile of the NY/Raritan Bay, and just a few more miles to the ocean by Sandy Hook, Seabrite and Monmouth Beach.
I own both yaks and love both, and I will discuss my druthers: First the PA 14, Is a very big yak, which has many many advantages over smaller yaks.
There is no comparison to any yak that I know for stability. The bay sometimes is rougher then the ocean by far, so the PA is great, even with all the jealous boaters getting as close as they can to scare you. Standing which most of us don’t have to do where we fish, unless you want to advertise you’re a freshwater fishermen (little local joke). I find it more comfortable to fight big fish sitting down, since you are sitting forward enough in the PA so if you use a 7’ rod, you have no problem with your line menacing you around the bow.
Landing big fish is very easy, where you don’t feel a freaked out 18lb Bluefish isn’t going to destroy all your tackle and knock you overboard, like almost happen in my Outback.
You have way too much room for storage, but it is there if you need it on a long striper day of fishing. Plus, you can modify the front storage for fish, as long as if there not too big. Some of the fish are 40” and weigh in the upper thirties. And, some of the yaks have caught much bigger than me. For bottom fish it works just fine, but I us a stringer for the most.
We do a lot of trolling (Bigger Fish) and is a dream with the PA, which you have a lot of room to negotiate the fight, and to retire the second rod. The PA requires less steering corrections then my Outback.
Preparing bait, gear maintenance, tackle changing is much easier in the PA.
Minimum issues with heavy winds compared to the Outback, which you just all-around feel more comfortable.
I tried the PA 12, and the PA 14 is a much easier yak to use for fishing, which is the only reason I Yak. But, if you use it for any other reasons except a tug boat the PA 12 is fine.
Hunting the PA 14 is the only PA to use, especially if you have dogs. And carrying all the equipment for hunting on the water, and shooting from the PA 14 is much better.
Now the Outback; I have stated all the good things about the nice to have functionality of the PA 14, which are true, but those are nice to have, for over a grand more for the PA, but it is still limited. Where the Outback is not, I can go farther in the outback, I can launch for the surf, which as for me, the PA can’t do it, and definitely at 66 I struggle on re-entry. And also on unloading and loading kills me with the PA, so I don’t use the PA for the ocean, only the bay.
Just about everything I can do on the PA I can do with the Outback, so if I had to choose I would have to go with the Outback for my only yak, mostly because of the surf/ocean fishing. My thoughts, but everyone is different.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Excellent comparison.

I have sent the link to a younger relative thinking about getting an Outback.

The PA 12 might be a better choice. His concern was loading the 14' PA in the bed of his full size pickup re its weight and length.

The length of the PA 12 and Outback are basically, the same. Since you need to only lift half of the yak up to get in the bed of a pickup, their difference in weight is not that great.

He prefers to fly fish standing up versus rod fishing, and the PA 12 should be a secure yak for fly fishing.