Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trailer winch stand
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a PA12 and I just bought this trailer http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200612542 It looks like it will work well but I am struggling with the bow post. It came with a vertical post and I cannot seem to make it work with the PA12. It looks like most on this site with trailers have a more common PWC winch stand. I looked around but I cannot seem to find any online. The main tube is 2 inches wide and most boat trailers are 3 inches wide so I have not found a stand that will fit. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Post subject: Re: trailer winch stand
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I found this company to be a good source for boat trailer items http://www.easternmarine.com/Boat-Trail ... fgod4RIA0A

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CheapFish wrote:
I have a PA12 and I just bought this trailer http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200612542 It looks like it will work well but I am struggling with the bow post. It came with a vertical post and I cannot seem to make it work with the PA12. It looks like most on this site with trailers have a more common PWC winch stand. I looked around but I cannot seem to find any online. The main tube is 2 inches wide and most boat trailers are 3 inches wide so I have not found a stand that will fit. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Not sure how much one would cost you, but the bow posts that Aluma makes for their watercraft trailers are really nice. I like the way they are adjustable on the trailer. I would call an Aluma dealer to see if they can order just the bow post like the one below. Since it pivots to allow height adjustments on the Aluma trail, all you would need to do is figure out where to drill the 2 holes (front and back) on the trailer tongue and attach it that way. Just a thought.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just installed this winch post on my trailer. It is fits a 2" wide frame

http://www.easternmarine.com/24-galvani ... post-43600

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is the same winch stand I bought and mounted on my Hobie Trailex trailer....still need U-bolts and the winch mounting bracket to accommodate the winch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So here is what I did, I found this picture on this site
And I decided to make my own. I bought the bow stop at Academy and the alumninum and bolts at Home Depot.
I am not very good at working with metal but it did work out well. I straped it down and the bow stop is very sturdy. I may end up painting the aluminium to match the trailer. I also needed a trailer jack and I made my own out of some scrap wood, a wheel, and a spare hitch ball.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Cheapfish, you are the man! ... remind me of....ME! I cobbled this together from some old parts I had lying around. The Velcro strap is from West Marine and I also use a short piece of line with a hook as back-up when I'm on the road. Never needed the winch, don't even use a winch on my powerboat trailer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Those 2 bow stops look great! Kudos to both of you. If I had to make one (or 2), I'd be following your examples. :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hey cheapfish I also just bought a pa12 recently and im trying to decide on which trailer to buy.. looking at the harbor freight boat trailer and the same one u bought..leaning towards the same 1 u got because it comes with the 12 inch tires compared to the 8 inch that comes on the harbor freight... would it be possible for u to post a few pics of the boat sitting on the trailer so I can see how well it fits...thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Was out of town for a couple of days. Here are couple of pictures, sorry for the messy garage.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for the pics cheapfish.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm kind of confused...... :oops:

I've owned offshore boats, bay boat and flats boat, so I understand the need for a winch & stand...even a power winch.

But I don't understand the need for either on a Pro Angler trailer.....what am I missing?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lt.FireDog....I quite often fish in lakes and reservoirs that have steep launch ramps......20 degrees are common and I do not bury my trailer in the water...only get the wheels at the waters edge since I don't have bearing buddies installed.....so yanking my 165 pound, loaded PA-14 on the trailer is a chore. The winch is a simple solution to save my old body. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have yet to put my trailer in the water. Not that I wouldn't...I just don't have to. I just back up to the edge of the water and slide the PAs off the back (stern first) and then lower the bow down by the front handle. That's easier than floating them off and having a rope tied to the bow handle to pull them back in.

I can agree that bow stops should not be a requirement for a PA trailer or any kayak trailer for that matter. I think it boils down to the trailer style and how you are securing the PA to it so it does not move. My bow stops are used mainly for holding down the front and I use ratchet straps across the rear to hold the stern snug to the PVC tubes. The one plus about having the bow stops is for loading. I set the bow up on the tubes, walk around to the rear and lift the stern and slide it on. When I hit the bow stop roller I know it's on where it should be.

It's whatever suits your personal needs.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I tried straping it down to the trailer without the winch stand and found that by lifting and pushing on the kayak i could still move it back and forth on the trailer. It seems to slide very easy on the pvc. Maybe if I covered the pvc with carpet I would not have the same problem. With the winch stand the kayak does not move at all. Mine is truly not a winch stand just a bow stop