Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have recently purchased a PA12 and wonder if any of the forum members have used a J-mount rack to transport their kayak. My problem is this...I have a trailer which I use to transport my side x side UTV behind my truck and camper. When I don't wish to take my UTV on campouts but want to take the kayak only, I place the kayak in the trailer bed (no problem). However, there will be times in the future when I will want to take both the UTV and the kayak and the trailer is only wide enough to hold the UTV in the bed. I am considering options for kayak transport and these options include a horizontal rack (like a roof-top rack) mounted above the UTV or a J-rack system attached to the side of the trailer's bed rail. The horizontal rack unfortunately would be about 8' above the ground in order to clear the trailered UTV and that's quite a lift for me. So, I'm leaning toward the J-rack sytem attached to the side of the trailer. I know Hobie discourages storage on the side but I'm talking about transport for several hours here rather than storage. Do any of you have experience with J systems and if so, what has been your experience and are there any you could recommend? The PA12 is heavier/wider than most kayaks and I don't know if J systems designed for other kayaks are strong enough. Thanks for any suggestions.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i have a 14, and would not dream of hauling it on its side in a J mount rack. way too heavy. thats just me.
jeff

Old Outback - SOLD

It's called "Fishing" for a reason...Otherwise, it would be called "Catching"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

PAs are much too heavy for a J-mount rack...I use a Yakima roof rack in combo with show boat roller for my Toyota Tacoma. Works fine. Leaves my truck bed available for my fishing gear, or whatever else I might decide to take along with me... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

DanG;
Why not build a rack for the UTV? You could load the PA above your UTV and then drive the UTV onto the trailer, fasten it down, and away you go. You might even be able to utilize the UTV to transport the PA while on your outing. I'm sure that an overhead rack would not require much more than some 1.5" tubing, some 4"abs pipe along with a bit of ingenuity and some welding time and your problem of trailering/transporting both would be solved.
Regards.....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So if your taking both your side x side and PA why not just load the PA on the side x side then load it on the trailer? That way your not lifting the PA up 8 feet. Then when you get to base camp unload the side x side and drop the PA or throw it in the trailer. I'm in the same boat (pun intended)
I tow this...

When I do this...

I can't throw the PA on the truck rack because that's where my roof top tent goes, I'd have to unload the PA everytime I wanted to go to bed. It's too long to fit in the bed of the truck. My only real option is to mount it on the truck that's being towed, like you'd do on your side x side.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the suggestions. After talking to Hobie and several rack dealers, it looks like I'll be welding up some custom racks for the side of my UTV trailer. I'll post some pictures when I get them done.

Dan