Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hauling in a pickup box
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got my Pro Angler on Wednesday. After reading the dos and don'ts of how to store the Angler and reading some of these forums I am a little concerned as to how to haul it. Should I be hauling it upside down or right side up or should I create something for it to rest on sitting in the box. My trips are going to be around an hour long.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jason,

Welcome to the PA family! I carry mine exclusively in the back of my F-150 SuperCrew. It has a 5.5 foot bed, so the tailgate and a bed extender help to support it. I have carried mine "right side up" on several trips up to 2 hours and never had any issues with dents, depressions, etc..

Initially I put a shipping blanket in the bed, but have not done that in quite some time. I use a rachet type strap that I run through the side rails and hook to the rear bed tie-downs. I have one of those thick rubber straps with the s-hook on each end that I use across the rear and secure to either side of the bed extender.

I did find after a few trips that the paint on the bed extender can start to wear and it can develop some rust on the edges where the PA contacts it (loading and unloading). That rust can work it way into the plastic and be tough to remove. I ended up applying some tape to the top of the "T-Bar" and have not had any issues since.

For short trips in my neighborhood to get to one of the 2 ramp/launch areas, I normally just use the rachet strap to hold the PA and do not use the bed extender. I'm in the lake at least once a week and have yet to see any depressions or dents associated with carrying the PA on its keel in the truck. By bed does not have a bedliner or anything in it.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just picked up my PA12' on Tuesday. I have 2 trailers that I will be modifying but wasn't ready yet. I have a Harbor Freight Bed Extender and was able to put the PA in the box with the stern end forward. So the bow is sitting on the extender. I used 2 straps to tie the side handles to the box and the bow handle is strapped to the extender. My wife felt that with all the talk about damage to the poly bottom, we needed to do something to support it. I bought 2 10 foot sections of 2" PVC (schedule 40) and slipped them long ways under the hull. So the 2 pipes are about 10" apart and support the whole boat hull. Some people say to use 2-1/2" PVC but I couldn't find any at Lowe's. This looks like a perfect solution to a lot of questions that people have about supporting the hull, avoiding denting the plastic and preventing having to turn it over. Just back to the ramp and pull it out.

Hope that helps...
Bill in Spokane, WA

2009 Outback
2011 Outback
2012 PA 12'

Hobie Outback Olive
Hobie PA 12'
Hobie i9S Sage
Hobie i9S Sage
Native Water Craft Mariner 12.5 Propel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You can use the heavy pool noodles to rest the boat on. Pool noodle are the long foam things they sell for kids to play in the pool. you can also cut them a wrap your bed extender.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased a light trailer from Academy. Rigged it up for 2 PA 14's with boards for support and pool noodles held in place with outdoor carpet for a cushion. I don't leave my PA's on the trailer, I just put them in my shed laying flat bottom on the floor. This works for me for now. I am planning on building a rack with a shelf for each that I can store them on their flat bottoms.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i haul my pa on the top of my ford exlporer i have 3in pvc mounted on roof rack ..have no problems did a 1150 mile round trip doing 70 and got 20mile to the gallon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a shortbed Dodge with a hitch mounted bed extension from Harbor Freight. It is super easy to load/unload. I have a rubber bed mat on my truck floor and put a piece of carpet over the extension rack when loading/unloading. I add a 1" foam pad to the rack when in transit. I haven't added any pvc to the bottom for support and haven't had any problems. I use 2 straps (one around the bed extension and other on front of bed) and it is solid as a rock transporting.