Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry guys but I must express my disappointment in the handling/steering of the PA12. Having just graduated from an Outback, I would have expected the the steering would be similar. Feel I must keep my hand on the steering lever most of the time on the 12. I have driven a boat for years and know well the problem of over steering. Yesterday when I got into some wind and chop, I felt I had to fight the steering. The Outback would have been an entirely different story.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is nothing wrong with your boat. You just need to put in a little more time getting used to how it steers. The physical relationship of the rudder to the hull is same on all the PAs - it's not like some steer as if they're on rails and others wander all over the lake. They're all the same or at least very nearly so.

Thousands of PA owners are successfully steering their boats to get where they want to go. No, it may not steer the same way as the Outback, but it is easily successfully steered. Give yourself a few hours to dial it in and you'll be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:
here is nothing wrong with your boat. You just need to put in a little more time getting used to how it steers. The physical relationship of the rudder to the hull is same on all the PAs - it's not like some steer as if they're on rails and others wander all over the lake. They're all the same or at least very nearly so.

Not necessarily true...Check to see which steering drum that you have. Hobie made two sizes for the PA. I would think that Hobie is using the new upgrade (larger steering hub), but that might not be true. Some people liked the older, more responsive steering where it is easy to oversteer until you get used to it/ if you get used to it. Personally, I had the same problem with my 2009 PA14. When I complained to Hobie, I found out that there were many people that felt the same as myself about the steering...Check the Steering Hub SIZE on your PA12 to see if you have the 3-1/2" hub (smaller hub that has problems with over steering), or the 4-7/8" (new, larger) hub. The hub can be found under a cover plate that is held down by 4 screws located on top of the rear section of the PA. On this forum in the "Announcements" section (same page and above "Topics" section, there is an announcement made by mmiller called "Steering Drum Upgrade". He talks about the two different size hubs and provides a video for installing the newer, large hub. If you don't have the larger hub, you can talk to your dealer, or Hobie, and ask for the upgrade. I got mine free of charge, but I don't know if Hobie is still providing them for free. Changing to the larger steering hub made a big difference for me, in lowering the amount of steering corrections that I had to make.

Anyway...Good luck :wink: