Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Everyone...I have a question about the PA-14s...Has anyone really had good use of the bait board covering the center hatch? I ask because when using live/real bait, I remove the artificial bait boxes and place a plastic trash bag liner into the center hatch bucket, then fill the bag with ice and put my bait in that...It works great BTW :wink: ...I also made a small, 1/4" thick by 13" x 13" plywood cutting board that I use in place of the PA's bait board...

Normally, I'll cut up one or more pieces of bail on the board and then cover them with a wet rag to keep them moist until I'm ready to use them. When I need to get some more of one type of bait though, I would have problems opening the hatch, had I cut the bait on the hatch cover...But...I just move my homemade bait board off the center hatch and open the hatch to get more of the bait I need...

So...I guess that I'm asking if the raised center hatch with cutting board is really useful, compared to the new PA-12's flush mounted center hatch? :roll: If the PA-14's center hatch bucket would still fit into the hatch opening (height)without being too deep for the flush hatch, I'd definitely cut out the raised hatch and replace it with the flush hatch because I don't use the cutting board anyway and the raised hatch just seems like a tripping hazard when standing in the PA... 8)...OR...Is the raised hatch necessary and somehow part of the PA-14's support structure, increasing the PA's deck rigidity and load capacity?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can agree with the differences between the PA12 and the PA14 as far as the raised center hatch affecting movement when standing, but I've gotten used to it being there. I never use the cutting board as a cutting board and carry a small cutting board in my milk crate to use when saltwater fishing.

I do like the tackle bucket on the PA14 as it affords me to carry most of my tackle stowed in it. I usually have a mesh bag with my soft plastics (individual bags) strapped down beside the seat on the left (rudder) side.

For me the center hatch lid was ideal as a fishfinder mount. It does not get in the way of my pedaling.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

Last edited by SRAces on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use it as sort of a utility tray for laying plugs while retying, setting pliers, binoculars, etc., down for a moment. Although I don't use it for a cutting board, I find it pretty handy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As a side note, Scotty is coming out with a new bait board that works with scotty brand mounts. Google for some pics. It's far more than just a bait board though! Available soon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

use mine all the time for cuttin up bait!

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Haven't used it as a cutting board yet, but it is very handy to hold a lure when changing to another. I hadn't noticed a problem accessing the storage compartment underneath (as some report) even before I raised my seat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RockyRaab wrote:
Haven't used it as a cutting board yet, but it is very handy to hold a lure when changing to another. I hadn't noticed a problem accessing the storage compartment underneath (as some report) even before I raised my seat.

I agree with you for using the board to place lures, pliers, etc. while changing tackle, and other uses. That's what I use mine for as well.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass