Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone have one of the aluminum handles fail? I turned the Kayak over and the starboard side handle broke at anterior most tie down. The kayak was empty and no water in the hull. This was while I was trouble shooting my rudder. I bought the sail kit and wanted to see if I could improve the rudder and weather helm sailing the PA. The roll pin was completely rusted and could not be removed. It shattered with the first tap. The rudder screw was also frozen although I did eveI chipped it away until it was smooth with the shaft but the shaft must be flared at the top because I couldn't drop it out with the roll pin gone (except in the rudder shaft). The local Hobie dealer is on a "much needed two week vacation" that started on the day I started these repairs and I was on hold with ACK for 15 minutes and no one picked up to help.
Being inpatient, I ended up taping it out but the hexagon rudder shaft bushing came out rather than the shaft. I was able to get the roll pin out and replace it with a cotter pin as demonstrated on this site.
The kayak works now but where do I get a replacement handle or has anyone come up with a stainless or other more sturdy replacement?
Mike