Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:30 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:18 pm
Posts: 19
Hi,
Im hoping a few of you can offer help/advice along with pictures would be great too. Im trying to carry a Pro angler & Outback on top of my pick truck cap. The cap(heavyduty fiberglass) can handle the weight,my concern is whats best and safe way to accomplish this or do I really have to go with a trailer?Some of my honeyholes would be near impossible to access with a trailer. Im really trying to keep my hitch open for hauling.
FYI,its a heavyduty truck that sits a bit higher than a half ton. I know options such a thule rack/bars/saddles exisit and Im not oppose to them.Just hopeful to get it right the first time.
Please chime in big or small advice.Thanks in advance for the help and it nice to be aboard. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:50 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:21 am
Posts: 138
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
I think the easy thing to do would be to use a truck extender for the PA and throw the Outback on top of the cab. No sure how long your bed is, but I know some people just carry their PAs on the truck beds for short trips.

_________________
2011 HPA
2006 Wildy Ride 135


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:07 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:41 pm
Posts: 519
Location: Lake Park, GA
I thought about a pickup rack transport as well and opted for the tailgate extender. Since I primarily make the long trips with my fishing buddies, the wife's Revo 11 doesn't usually go along. I did find that I can have the PA to one side of the pickup bed (keel down) using the tailgate extender and put the Wife's Revo 11 on it's side with plenty of room.

I would think you could do the same thing with the Outback. As long as you have padding or something that you feel would protect the side of the Outback on it's side in the bed, this would be a workable solution for transport.

I have a 2004 F-150 Supercrew with the 5.5 foot bed and have no issues this way. That way both would be inside your nice camper shell and you wouldn't have to store the PA on top. As far as saddles go, I just use one or more of those thick padding style blankets like the movers use under the kayaks in the bed as padding. Just a thought...

_________________
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)

2013 Pro Angler 14 - Dune
2012 Pro Angler 14 - Dune


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:29 am 
Offline
Hobie Tech / Moderator

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:34 pm
Posts: 192
Location: Hobie Cat: Oceanside, CA
Take a look on youtube. There are a number of kayak transporting videos people have posted. Google Image search may turn up some help too. I've used it in the past to find ideas.

_________________
Brendan Castile


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:58 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:29 am
Posts: 423
I use a 1/4 ton Bantam trailer that has racks on it, I would strap the PA down to the racks and then strap the OB down on top of the PA. You will have to take the PA seat off though. I used foam blocks between the PA and OB. The trailer is not wide enough to carry the PA and OB side by side. It was a pain to lift the OB over 6' to put it on top of my PA especially if my short buddy was with me, he would have to stand on the open tailgate of my pickup.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:05 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:18 pm
Posts: 19
redgrappler wrote:
I think the easy thing to do would be to use a truck extender for the PA and throw the Outback on top of the cab. No sure how long your bed is, but I know some people just carry their PAs on the truck beds for short trips.


Redgrappler..
Yeah I understand/picture what your saying. But really trying to keep my hitch exposed(tailgate closed) to haul our traveltrailer too.
Thanks :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:12 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:18 pm
Posts: 19
SRAces wrote:
I thought about a pickup rack transport as well and opted for the tailgate extender. Since I primarily make the long trips with my fishing buddies, the wife's Revo 11 doesn't usually go along. I did find that I can have the PA to one side of the pickup bed (keel down) using the tailgate extender and put the Wife's Revo 11 on it's side with plenty of room.

I would think you could do the same thing with the Outback. As long as you have padding or something that you feel would protect the side of the Outback on it's side in the bed, this would be a workable solution for transport.

I have a 2004 F-150 Supercrew with the 5.5 foot bed and have no issues this way. That way both would be inside your nice camper shell and you wouldn't have to store the PA on top. As far as saddles go, I just use one or more of those thick padding style blankets like the movers use under the kayaks in the bed as padding. Just a thought...


SARaces
I get what your saying,makes sense. My senario is a Dodge Ram 2500 four w/short box.Capper is Leer fiberglass. Im really trying to keep tailgate up and closed inorder to attach my weight distribution hitch and haul travel trailer behind truck too.Guess I should have mentioned that in my first post. I can put the Sports in back of truck,but all other hobies stick out to far with travel trailer hooked up. Hope I dont confuse you,Im pretty good at cthat...lol
**I will try and post picture of my truck/cap setup,maybe it will give everyone better idea what Im talking about** :D
actionjackson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:17 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:18 pm
Posts: 19
Bcastile wrote:
Take a look on youtube. There are a number of kayak transporting videos people have posted. Google Image search may turn up some help too. I've used it in the past to find ideas.


Bcastile..
I did exactly that before posting on here. Still havent found anyone carrying Outback & ProAngler on top of truck top. Im sure someones doing it,but I havent come across picture/post ot video yet.Seem some setups on trailers,but again really trying to keep them up on truck topper. I will be traveling 7-8 hours to get to some of my destinations,so they got to be secure.
Thanks :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:19 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:18 pm
Posts: 19
atavuss wrote:
I use a 1/4 ton Bantam trailer that has racks on it, I would strap the PA down to the racks and then strap the OB down on top of the PA. You will have to take the PA seat off though. I used foam blocks between the PA and OB. The trailer is not wide enough to carry the PA and OB side by side. It was a pain to lift the OB over 6' to put it on top of my PA especially if my short buddy was with me, he would have to stand on the open tailgate of my pickup.

Yeah what ever I do,I will be doing mainly on my own when loading kayaks.Kids are too small to help and wife likely cant lift them very high.It may come down to a trailer,but hopeful to figure something else out.'Cheers :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:39 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:10 am
Posts: 152
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
I hauled my PA AND my AI in the back of my Ram with bed extender. had the PA flat, and laid the AI on it's side. but if yer gonna haul other stuff with a trailer or whatever, that route wont work for ya.

_________________
2011 Hobie Pro Angler - Papaya
2012 Hobie Tandem Island - Papaya


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:26 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:01 am
Posts: 132
I roll with a PA & an outback in the pickup bed all the time. No problems & no extender. One strap securing bows, one across the midsection (ratchet strap) on cargo loops by tailgate, & one tiedown ties the sterns together. Yaks havent budged ever. Many trips up to 3 hrs made. Wouldnt mind getting an extender for longer trips. Puttin PA on top sounds like hell to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:11 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 6:06 am
Posts: 144
I carry mine in a short bed with a bed extender. If you get a Hobie cart it's very easy to manage.
Image

_________________
Image
http://www.kayakbassfishing.com Pro Staff
http://www.yakattack.us Pro Staff
http://www.mariner-sails.com
http://www.TFOrods.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:07 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:54 pm
Posts: 70
Here's how I roll with the Hobie outback and pro angler.....outback on the top rack, and the PA in the bed.... I have a bed extender, but never use it :shock:

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:15 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:23 pm
Posts: 147
I cant remember where I seen it, but a member had a hitch in the fromt with a extender and ran it from the cab to the front. He towed a trailer or 5th wheel around. :roll:

_________________
Steve Valerga Jr.
DV U.S.Army Airborne
1988-92

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:42 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:18 pm
Posts: 19
gotcha wrote:
I cant remember where I seen it, but a member had a hitch in the fromt with a extender and ran it from the cab to the front. He towed a trailer or 5th wheel around. :roll:

Hey thats a great idea :D
I should have thought of that..thanks for giving me insight.
Now just have to find that setup.First need a hitch piece welded on front,then find the bar for front. Im sure a blacksmith can fabricate something.
Jack


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group