Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello every one!!!
I just want to send a warm greeting to y'all. Proud to be a new owner of 2013 PA 14 last week and I can't wait to try her out on the water. I have few questions that I would like to ask you guys. I want to get the C-Tug cart for my PA but when I tried to load the C-Tug, my PA hull doesn't stay flat against the cart so I think the hull will get damage 'cause of the weigh and also the PA seems wobbling when I tried to pull it. The Hobie beach cart with Wheelez wheels looks like I does better job but I'm also afraid the cart will damage the scuppers as well.
Any one in this forum who owned both carts, please give me your advises on which one I should get.
Thank you so much and tight lines.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have both the C-Tug and the Hobie Scupper Cart with the gray Wheeleez tires. I like the ability to load the PA14 on the C-Tug without tipping the boat on its side, but you are correct that the shape of the PA hull doesn't really work with the C-Tug. It is much better for a flat bottom boat. I would go with the scupper cart, but take a look at the Hobie heavy duty cart with the hard tires to determine if that will be better for your primary use. If you are in sand a lot, you might be better off with the gray Wheeleez tires, but if you are on hard surface most often, the hard tires on the heavy duty cart will likely serve you better. I've been using the scupper cart with my 2010 PA14 (without reinforced scuppers) for over two years without issue. If you are careful and always make sure to fully insert the cart and use the locking pin, you won't have an issue, especially with the new reinforced models.

Of course, there are loads of other options. Check out this cart I just spotted at REI -- http://www.rei.com/product/815324/seattle-sports-atc-boat-cart

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've used the scupper cart but decided to go with the Wheel-Ez kayak beach cart with the rail add on.
Super nice cart and if you plan on launching from areas with rougher/softer terrain you really can't beat this cart.
The biggest down side is that it's nearly impossible to store this thing on the PA12 (not sure about PA14).
I never have to trek very far from where I park though, maybe a 20-30 foot walk at most.

Once you get the hang of it, it's super easy to load and the big wheels make it really easy to load onto my trailer.

With a combination of a trailer and this beach cart, I'm loading/unloading my PA12 much faster than my old Native Ultimate. Kinda crazy, loading/unloading a 130lb kayak faster than a 45lb kayak.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll second on the wheeleez cart. Once you find the center point of the boat and get things balanced you really have no weight to pick up, only pull. Great, great cart on soft sand. That being said, make certain and get the larger of the two carts. The smaller one just isn't quite up to task.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the Proangler 12 with the Trax 2 cart and have noticed that the wheels will rub the bottom of the hull when loaded. I know the PA 14 is heavier, so you may encounter the same problem. It would be nice to load it up and only make one trip. It is fine when there is only a light load. I am wondering if it is possible to rig an extension on the posts. If that can be done, will the larger Wheeleez wheels fit on the Trax axle for longer distances on soft sand?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Blade- I have the Trax2 cart with standard Wheeleez tires for my PA14, and never have any rubbing. There are plastic collars that fit around the posts above the crossbar. The PA hull rests on these collars, not on the crossbar itself. The height of these is adjusted with an allen wrench. I don't know anything about how the PA12 hull fits to the Trax2 cart, but would try adjusting these upward on the posts before attempting to rig up any sort of post extension.