Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA Loading on PVC?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am bolting PVC to the metal ladder rack above the camper shell on my truck. I was wondering how tough it is to get the front of the PA on the PVC without scratching the heck out of the front of my PA? I have a pretty high 4x4 truck with ladder rack above my topper. It seems like to get it started on such a steep, high angle the front keel will get scratch up? I've been considering putting a roller on the back to help get the PA started but is that necessary?

Post subject: Re: PA Loading on PVC?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I cap the pvc with rounded ends so there are no sharp edges ......... I also covered mine with carpet made for trailer bunks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I mounted the PVC on my truck this afternoon and had no problem loading my PA without any roller wheel. At first I was concerned with the steep angle but it's not problem. I placed a short throw rug over the front of PVC and it slid on pretty easy. It was somewhat of a challenge sliding it on being up so high and I may need a step ladder though!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Memory Maker wrote:
I cap the pvc with rounded ends so there are no sharp edges ......... I also covered mine with carpet made for trailer bunks.

jims wrote:
I mounted the PVC on my truck this afternoon and had no problem loading my PA without any roller wheel. At first I was concerned with the steep angle but it's not problem. I placed a short throw rug over the front of PVC and it slid on pretty easy. It was somewhat of a challenge sliding it on being up so high and I may need a step ladder though!

Memory Maker, & Jims
I also have a large Truck, 4X4 Dodge 3500 and put mine in the bed of it. but have not been using any PVC's just a carpet so it would not get ripped up on the spray on liner that I have in it. Can you post a picture of yours loaded up the next time you have it loaded Up So I can get a better ideal of how I should be loading it up to protect in even More! Thanks

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14 (Dune)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I also have a receiver hitch extender rack that works great as well for hauling my PA in the bed of my truck. If you are in a pinch for cash I got it for around $50 from Harbor Freight w/coupon. I have a rubber mat in my bed and put a slice of foam over the extender rack to prevent it from scratching. My PA is as solid as a rock in my bed on the extender. I'm heading out to a lake this afternoon and will try the camper shell/ladder rack setup for the first time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I took a sander and ground down the edge on the end of the PVC so it didn't shave the boat when passed over it. Two season's with this, and not problems so far. Works great, better than many commercial haulers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jims, would you mind posting a pic? How did you secure your pvc to your rack? I was thinking about doing the same thing. Some else on here did something sikmilar but they used mighty mounts (yakima) on an OEM Xterra rack.

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have an extender then you don't need the PVC ........... I also have a liner and I don't use a carper and don't get scratches

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an extender myself. But, i want to use the pvc for my truck.for when ibwant to bring mypa to work with me so.i can fish afterwards....or for long trips.

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't seem to download photos on this website. I mounted the PVC to my ladder rack w/ U-bolts. I drilled 2 holes on each end of the PVC and bolted the U-bolts through the bottom of the PVC.

To get the correct width gap I place the PVC loosely on top of the racks with my PA on top of the PA. This way I could align the deep keel with the PVC (each end is a little different width). I marked on the PVC where the U-bolts go as well as the overall length. You want the U-bolts pretty close to the end or it is a pain in the rear tightening up the nuts (inside the PVC). This is working very well so far.

I'm heading out on a 2,000 mile round-trip and plan on putting my PA inside my bed on the bed extender while driving long distance. I'll probably get better gas mileage this way..plus a little easier against side-wind going down the highway. Once I get to my destination I plan on using the ladder rack on my topper so I can camp out with my bed free.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use PVC pipes on the top of my post WWll 1/4 ton Bantam trailer, the height is over 5' so I throw a commercial floor mat on the end of the PVC pipes so it won't scratch the PA.