Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've tried searching, but didn't find any previous posts relevant to my issue.

My fishing mate and I both have 2017 PA 12. We love them. However, about 4 months ago, in the middle of a fishing trip, his steering cable just snapped. He lost the ability to steer, obviously, and ended up having to replace the entire cord with something more durable. He noticed that the original cord has been rubbing against a section deep inside (almost unattainable) and basically weakened it to the point that the pressure/movement - normal steering - snapped the cord.

We tossed it up to He just has really bad luck, and happened to get a faulty PA12.

Yesterday, in the middle of another fishing trip, I lose the ability to steer. My cord broke. Fishing trip cut way short.

Has anyone had this happen? I find it strange how the two of us both experienced the same breakage with the same steering cord.

Also, is there a diagram that shows the track the cord takes, how it threads through the Hobie? I'd like to see the inside, skeleton/nooks & crannies, to see if maybe there's a better route that won't continue to weaken/break cords, or cut groves into the inside. I'm not sure what he used exactly to fix his, but I'm curious if there are replacements offered by Hobie that would correct the problem? I don't want to replace it with the same type of material, only to have it happen again. Nor do I want to continue to wear down the inside of my hull with a stronger material that won't break, but instead cut out a bigger grove on the inside of the PA.

Thank you in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is the link to the steering diagram, spectra line routing.
https://static.hobiecat.com/digital_ass ... 1545054184

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you know, roughly, where inside the hull the breaks are occurring, you may be able to add 1/4" polyethylene or similar flexible tube to those areas. Run the cable through this to avoid abrasion of the cable and hull.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk