Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

At a dirt launch I have no problems because the ground is soft but at a concrete boat launch I have stratched the side of my PA when I tip it on the side to install my cart. I try to keep it partially in the water when I tip it on the side but wave action (or the twisting of the PA when holding it up with only one hand) has scratched the side when the boat moves from the waves. I do not want to drag it all the way out of the water before tipping in on the side because that would drag the bottom on the concrete doing the same damage on the bottom. What do you do to avoid this damage?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I drag my PA14 all the way up onto the concrete ramp. I try to get it far enough that I have no slick algae underneath. That allows me to tip it up without the boat sliding sideways. I think it causes fewer scratches that way, actually. That's why they put replaceable rub pads on the stern.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Lunker1,
I, too, hate the thought of scratches on the hull of my PA unless it's absolutely necessary. I've also avoided tipping the PA on it's side to install the cart because it stresses the scupper supports. There shouldn't be any problems as long as one takes care to FULLY insert the cart and locking it in place with the securing pin. What I've done from the beginning is insert the cart while the PA is still in the water, at least knee deep.
Whether you trailer, Pick-up or roof top your PA, you should be able to reverse the process when putting in. Slide the PA back enough to insert the cart, remove from which ever system is supporting it and tote into the water. If the launch ramp is a steep one, try positioning the PA parallel to the waterline.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

When I have to use the cart I put down a piece of carpet so the side doesn't get scratched

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mr. Green, I purchased a small piece of carpet remnant recently for just that purpose. My issue has been how to get the kayak far enough out of the water so the carpet piece does not get soaked.

I will do as RockyRaab suggests since the rear rub pads are replacable.

GR8 Laker, I tried to do as you suggested in the past but my cart is so boyant that I cannot get the cart under the kayak easily. That would also get me wetter than I want to get.

Great suggestions :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a small piece of carpet when laying my PA on its side. I use the same carpet placed on the pvc ends on my ladder rack before placing my PA on top and sliding it down the pvc.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Lunker1 wrote:
Mr. Green, I purchased a small piece of carpet remnant recently for just that purpose. My issue has been how to get the kayak far enough out of the water so the carpet piece does not get soaked.

I use rubber backed outdoor carpet cause it gets wet and muddy and wanted to be able to hose it off to clean it. Especially important to do so if you launch where there is small pepples or zebra mussels that will get stuck in the carpet fibers and will scratch the Pro Angler.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Not exactly the same issue but I use a long piece of conveyor belt for beaching my PA14. It is heavy duty rubber with some steel fibers inside. When I tip the kayak to insert the scupper cart I have it sitting on that.
I rummage our garbage dump for pieces of conveyor belt, but you might be able to buy rubber in another format, like the interlocking floor tiles sold for childrens' rooms.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Like several others, a scrap of carpet works well for me. In lieu of that, a cheapo doormat would work. It's also nice to not stand in the sand when putting on dry clothes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I tried the method posted above of inserting and removing the wheels while the boat is in water yesterday and it works great. The wheels float so I just blindly reached under the water and moved them towards the scuppers and they popped right in. Just lift the back of the boat to remove.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZfLFR32KCw[/youtube]

I posted this on another forum. I thought this might help those who do not want to get to wet, It may give some good ideas :idea:

You got to hand it to some of these older guys they think of some cool 8) stuff.

BentRodyakker
PA14
Rockaway Beach
Oregon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Carpet or float it

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A piece of foam exercise mat works. I keep a 2'x3' rolled up in the car if I need to use the cart. Usually using a trailer so I just unload straight into the water but no matter how careful, scratches still get inflicted on the bottom returning to a concrete ramp, so I use self sticking strips of Keeleazy under the hull for that.

I like the idea of the support rack that doubles as a plug in rod holder for a PA.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey bentrodder, easy on that 'older guy' stuff! :wink:

Cheers.
Old guy Drew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

uno mas wrote:
Hey bentrodder, easy on that 'older guy' stuff! :wink:

Cheers.
Old guy Drew

It all Depends. :lol:

We will have to Insure :lol: the older guys stick around to teach us the cool stuff :!: 8)

cheers!

BentRodyakker
PA14
Rockaway Beach
Oregon