Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I have a suburban and am trying to figure out the best way to transport my pro angler. I would like to be able to put it on the roof solo (I have factory z71 rack) and have only seen the $250 rhino t loader as an option. Anyone have cheaper better ideas? I can fit it inside the suburban with the back seats down but need to keep the back cargo door open because it still hangs out about 3 feet. Just wanna figure out the best secure way to transport this and be able to load and unload by myself. Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the same thing, Alex. Trust me when I say that there is just simply no easier or better way to transport that boat than with a trailer. If you are going to do it by yourself, there is no better way than a trailer. You will get all kinds of responses and opinions, but a trailer is the easiest way to load and unload that boat.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy the ride.

* 2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

"FISHING THE INDIAN RIVER & MOSQUITO LAGOON"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

here is the trolley I built originally for my PA14 and am now using for my PA12. I roll it up to my Chevy Avalanche (similar to Suburban) and can slide the yak in or out. when I'm storing it for long time I flip it over, as shown below.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Alex,I transport my Angler 14 on a Suburban.I use Thule racks with padded covers and strapped down plus front and rear tie downs works well.But,it is a bear to get up there by myself.I generally put the rear of the boat behind the car,then lift the front and walk it over the back of the Suburban.I'll have a pad t cover the rear window,and ease the boat down to the roof.If you survive that part,lifting the rear end and sliding it up isn't too bad.Honestly,the trailer is a good idea,or a pickup.That's an easy load with the scupper cart also.Good luck.