Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My kayak has only been used 5-6 times and I'm getting a clicking noise when I turn either direction. It turns fine then kind of stops and I have to put more pressure on it to turn the knob and it "pops" and then I can turn. Same going back the opposite direction. Could i need the new steering fix that hobie has for the 2013's?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

first thing, before ordering up a fix, is to find out what the noise is. just poke your head in and follow the steering cable from stem to stern to find the noise. may just be to cables rubbing each other in an odd way. one of our boats makes a noise like rubbing on guitar strings sometimes.
after you trace the cable to the rear, remove the steering drum cover and check to see that everything is kosher. have a buddy work the steering while you investigate.
i know this sounds elementary, but find out what is really going on before dropping off with the dealer.

cheers.
drew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Will do thanks Drew.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the same issue...but I haven't taken time to determine the cause. If I figure it out, I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's most likely the spectra line rubbing against the horizontal arms attached to the rudder shaft/knob. They can be bent down to offer some clearance. Like Drew says, stick your head in the hatch while moving the rudder knob.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Turns out the noise was the spectra steering line catching on the tackle tray when I opened the hatch then closed it while on the water. It was hanging down a little too much and would catch. I tightened it up in the back where you access the rudder turning mechanism and it works fine now. Just wondering how tight the steering should be though, it seems a little too tight now..maybe I should loosen it a bit?