Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My 2013 PA14 Mods
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought I would post my mods so far on my new 2013 PA14. As I've stated in some earlier posts, the move from the 2012 PA14 to the 2013 PA14 requires you to re-think where your gear goes and how you adjust to the new layout. The beauty of this forum is that folks share a lot of ideas on rigging the Pro Angler, So I'm sharing a few pictures in case others want to do something similar.

My first mod was changing out the strap under the seat to hold the Plano boxes for a easy to remove shock strap setup. I posted that in an earlier thread, but will include one shot here for reference. I had my Humminbird 385 CI Di mounted on the cutting board of the 2012 PA14. That's no longer an option. I wanted to mount it on the side mounting boards to reduce the amount of holes in the hull. I'm not a fan of Scotty mounts where you have to tighten a ball clamp down and was hoping to come up with a solution for the Humminbird "quick release" style mount that pivots and has the cable securely mounted inside.

The challenge was making it level when looking at it from the Vantage seat. It turns out that if you drill the four holes in the mounting board and use 2 of the Hobie "well nuts' inserted through the rear holes from the bottom of the mounting board, they are the perfect height for the outside screw holes and hold the base at the right angle. So as you can see by the picture, the inside screws are securely mounted against the board, but the outside mounting looks like 2 rubber pedestals holding the base up. Using a little "lock tight" ensures the screws do not turn and even if they came loose, the front screws are firmly secured.

On the 2012 PA14 the side rails extended far enough forward so that you had the use of more than one of the retractable straps for securing your rods. The single rear cord the 2013 PA14 isn't far enough forward to really help. I wanted something simple to keep rods from shifting especially if you "turtle" the PA or tilt it on the side to insert the cart. I added a black nylon deck loop on each side above the 2 deck loops by the front seat mount. Being a fan of shock cord, I made 2 small straps with a retainer clip on one end and an open clip on the other. Works like a charm regardless of whether your reels are forward or behind the front seat mount.

Rods in back:

Rods in Front:

Tackle box mod under the Vantage seat:

Thant's all for now. If I make any more rigging mods, I will post some pictures.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

Post subject: Re: My 2013 PA14 Mods
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nicely done! I'm still getting settled out here in Cali, but once I'm done ill be looking for a new Pro Angler 14 myself! Not a fan of the new seat, but I really want the steering on both sides and the flat floor for standing while I fish!!

Keep the mod pics coming please!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ring King wrote:
Nicely done! I'm still getting settled out here in Cali, but once I'm done ill be looking for a new Pro Angler 14 myself! Not a fan of the new seat, but I really want the steering on both sides and the flat floor for standing while I fish!!

Keep the mod pics coming please!!

Glad to hear you're getting settled in. Reminds me of my PCS days. I did purchase 2 of the Hobie Anchor Trolley kits instead of building new ones since the new PA has the pre-drilled locations. The new dual Anchor trolley setup works great! The seat is starting to grow on me. It's easier to install/remove and is lighter than the older seat.

I will probably add the same Hook1 floor padding material in the flat areas on either side of the seat as I like to use those side areas for various purposes and want to make them cushioned for less noise when on the water.

Still have to build my fish/baitwell tank using one of those Sea Urchin Hand Pumps like Scott Loving demonstrated on YouTube. Found the right insulated box...just have to wait a little bit on the expenditures...lol. Take care and good luck fishing in California!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice mod. That one problem I notice from the new PA14 compare to the old PA14. I like storing my rods in the tubes while fishing or transporting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I saw the hand pump that you're looking for on Amazon. Shop around though because I remember seeing someone post a link to one that was fairly inexpensive.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I found it in the $55-$60 dollar range. The box I want is about $85 plus shipping. Had some other expenses come up and the purchase of the 2013 PA14 hit my budget a little, so it will be a few months before I make that fish/baitwell setup. My goal is to have it ready for spring fishing and the JAX Classic next year.

Caught my first gar last weekend. It was an alligator gar that hit my favorite lure. The lake I fish on the most continues to surprise me with the variety of fish it holds.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought I would post a few more updates/mods to the 2013 PA14. I swapped out the black shock cord for red to see how that would look in the front area. It's growing on me. I removed the original rear cargo area factory shock cords off both my 2012 and 2013 PA14s. I still have them where I can put them back on, but found the simple straight cords on each side worked better for me and they can be crossed to make an "X" pattern in the cargo area if needed. I use the cord across the back to slide the paddle blade under when I'm on the water so it will hold the paddle without securing it in the new "Taco" style paddle clip with the small strap.

I order a second "Taco" paddle clip to use with my large fishing net. Works great! When I salt water fish I use the Hobie rod extension tubes in the rear rod holders and everything fits great! On my 2012 PA14 I had used some of the "Silent Traction" pads from Stewart Products (Hook 1 site) and added those on each side of the seat.

There are a few other mods pending and as I get those done, I will post more shots. Threw in a bass picture at the end. It was about 8 pounds and nailed the lure as soon as it hit the surface. The blood is not as bad as it looks. He inhaled the lure and tore one gill area slightly. Took my time getting him back in the water and he swam off fine.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

Last edited by SRAces on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was looking for something other than a mesh bag I had been putting my bags of soft plastics in that would not be bulky and fit on either side of the Vantage seat. After a lot of Google searching to find a bag long enough and the right width/height, I came across the 2-bag set below on Amazon.com. They fit perfectly! I can put all my bags of soft plastic in the smaller one and use the larger bag for the loose items such as bug spray, sunblock, snacks, etc.

I usually store the digital camera and phone in the main floor compartment since I have the Hobie rectangular bucket. I thought I would add pictures of the bags and a link to them on Amazon for anyone that might be interested. The bags come as a set for $19.94 and the quality of the materials is very good. All you have to do to secure them is run the one shock cord loop from the side rail through the straps and it's all secure.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028VOIS4/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

SRAces wrote:
I thought I would post my mods so far on my new 2013 PA14. I wanted something simple to keep rods from shifting especially if you "turtle" the PA or tilt it on the side to insert the cart. I added a black nylon deck loop on each side above the 2 deck loops by the front seat mount. Being a fan of shock cord, I made 2 small straps with a retainer clip on one end and an open clip on the other. Works like a charm regardless of whether your reels are forward or behind the front seat mount.

I did a similar mod on my PA to keep the rods tucked nicely against the side and away from where I stand.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hogman wrote:

I did a similar mod on my PA to keep the rods tucked nicely against the side and away from where I stand.

What did you use to secure these rod holders?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I noticed where you mounted the GPS/ fish finder. Is that too far out of the way to reach ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

njwhitetail wrote:
I noticed where you mounted the GPS/ fish finder. Is that too far out of the way to reach ?

That's a good question. For me it's not too far because once I turn it on, I usually do not need to touch it. I notice a lot of folks put their fish finders on the mounting boards closest to the seat. I use my fish finder primarily to watch the bottom for structure, holes, and other areas that might hold fish. I also use it to know how deep I am in case I need to "flutter" pedal the Mirage Drive. So I just setup the screen format I want to see and it automatically adjusts. If I need to make any adjustments to it...yes I have to lean forward out of the seat, but that's not something you have to do often.

I mount the rod holders on the boards closest to the seat so they are within easy reach. That's helpful if you are trolling or want to put the rod in the holder while you change tackle or a bait. My thought is you handle your rods more than the fish finder, so that's why my setup is the way it is. Hope this insight helps.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Steve,
where did you get the floor padding (Hook 1)?? I did a search there and couldn't find it. How about the extra taco paddle clip?
Thanks
Alan

"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Alphonse wrote:
Steve,
where did you get the floor padding (Hook 1)?? I did a search there and couldn't find it. How about the extra taco paddle clip?
Thanks
Alan

Hi Alan!

Hook1 changed the naming and how they are listed. Here's the link: http://kayakfishinggear.com/CONSEALPADS ... ngles.aspx

You can pick up the extra taco style paddle clip from any Hobie dealer. They run about $9. The Hook1 padding is ideal for more than just floor padding. I'm getting ready to receive my SeaDek custom padding, so the Hook1 floor padding will be coming off...lol. I still have a full sheet of the material in the garage that I can use for additional projects.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought I would update this thread with the latest changes. I know there is another thread discussing the SeaDek project, but I wanted to post what my setup currently looks like. There might be one of my mods that could help another individual, so I'll keep adding to this thread. My next big project is to add a livewell/baitwell on the back (tan color) that utilizes a hand pump to circulate the water. That's a few months away. My Hawg Trough will be mounted to that similer to what LtFireDog did on his YakAttack box. Great idea!

I'm primarily a freshwater angler. I do saltwater fish a few times a year. When I do, I add a milk crate and cooler on the back deck area and carry different rods/tackle.

This first picture shows what I normally carry to freshwater fish. The Vantage seat was left off for the pictures. I put 2 of the taco clip paddle holders on the back. They hold the paddle and net perfectly until I need them. The SOP clips just inside of the railing on a SOP clip in the back and on the front mounting board. It does not get in the way of anything and I can still use my Hobie rod extension tubes in the rear if needed. The black/tan canvas back holds sunblock scale, food, etc.

This shot shows the tackle boxes I carry under the seat. I flip flop between the red or black shock cords. I think I'll stick with red for awhile as it's a nice contrast against the black. The small tan bag holds all my soft plastics that are in the zip lock style bags. I added the Zooka (Ram Jr;) tubes for the front rod holders to replace the ones I had. I hate loose items, so I added a small shock cord knob on the left side to hold the Mirage Drive retainer cord. The red shock cord holding the reel on the left keeps the reel off the floor and adds more room. It looks busy, but it's not. The small red shock cords clipped to the floor from the side loops are the primary rod tie downs.

The last picture shows the Hobie rectangular bucket that I use instead of the flip up 2 tackle tray solution that comes on the PA. It holds more and is a lot more functional for me. I did add a Mirage Drive strap as a security precaution.

That's my setup so far... :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass