Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thinwater skinner wrote:

The main problem here is you want a kayak and you have a Pro Angler. The angler was built for fishing and not kayaking. It will not handle like you think you want it to. BUT as stated before... After use while fishing you will adjust to it. 60 trips should be enough, but for some it might take longer... But you do not have a kayak. Good Luck.

I have been paddle/pedal fishing for over 15 years and have over 30 years experience operating power vessels. I think I should have a good idea on how a boat/kayak should handle. Say what you want Thinwater skinner.... it ain't right :!:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

RHale wrote:
In thousands of years of seafaring history, it has yet to be done. Too much going on, wind, waves, ballast, trim, etc., etc. Boats do not go straight. They go where the elements push them.

in 4 feet of water in the backcountry mangroves, there aren't many elements. The boat should track straight.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:15 am 
Site Admin

The boats are wide for their length. The rudder is forward. They will not track like a touring kayak.

Another element is the drive. If you stop pedaling, the drive is drag-forward and it causes the boats to turn.

Adjust the control lines. Be sure the rudder is fully down. Don't over load the forward cargo area.

We are not hearing the "design problem" in relation to PA 14 and 12 steering from a wide number of people.

Maybe like a car. You have to hold the wheel... make constant adjustments. Is it really that different?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt, don't get me wrong. I am very satisfied with my Pro Angler 12. I have learned to "deal" with the handling of the boat. Notice I didn't say kayak :mrgreen: I would/have encouraged anyone to consider buying the 12 when purchasing a fishing platform.

Glad to see that Hobie does recognize why there are handling issues and the decisions behind the design. If I had a choice between getting my line tangled in the rudder and better handling, I would go with better handling.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

Another issue is over-steering ... the blade turns too far, water flow detaches and then finally catches and steers the boat the other way. This can cause a snake-wake feel in steering. Be gentle, try not to over-correct. This was the primary reason we made the drum bigger... takes more input to make the rudder turn, but there is only so much we could do with that. The housing limits the drum size.

Don't get me wrong either...

Personally, I think the rudder could be a thicker foil, that helps keeps the flow of water attached. It could be longer, but would stick out the back when in the up position. We always try to improve the products, so we do listen to hear what is, and is not working.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Another issue is over-steering ... the blade turns too far, water flow detaches and then finally catches and steers the boat the other way. This can cause a snake-wake feel in steering. Be gentle, try not to over-correct. This was the primary reason we made the drum bigger... takes more input to make the rudder turn, but there is only so much we could do with that. The housing limits the drum size.

Don't get me wrong either...

Personally, I think the rudder could be a thicker foil, that helps keeps the flow of water attached. It could be longer, but would stick out the back when in the up position. We always try to improve the products, so we do listen to hear what is, and is not working.

Matt - Thanks for your feedback. I agree with islandspeed2001, it's a very unique fishing platform which I do love, and I understand certain design improvements do come at a cost. I suppose it's not that much different than driving (hands on the wheel), I am just accustomed to not having to do that on other hobies. So there's a bit of an adjustment there. I'm a multi-tasker by nature so I tend to want to do other things when commuting :)

I would like to explore the longer rudder, I also think that could help. I don't think the fact that it would stick out the back would be that big of a deal. Just have to be extra careful loading/unloading. For west coasters with long commutes in deeper/choppier water any little bit helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have levers with knobs on both sides of my PA12 and I enjoy the steering much more. Sometimes I use both levers when cruising, but the knobs made the most difference. The steering seems more precise with the knobs, and so less over-steering; but that may just be me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey TT man,

You may want to try to ad a glue on keel guard. I put one on my bass boat and will be putting one on my PA12. It should help with tracking and wear.
Good luck hope this helps,
MM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Marble Man wrote:
Hey TT man,

You may want to try to ad a glue on keel guard. I put one on my bass boat and will be putting one on my PA12. It should help with tracking and wear.
MM

Seems like a good idea. Is this something you make or you can buy? Any more info would be much appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

the_tall_man wrote:
Marble Man wrote:
Hey TT man,

MM

Seems like a good idea. Is this something you make or you can buy? Any more info would be much appreciated!

I bought mine at Cabela's. It easy to install. Here's the link http://www.cabelas.com/product/KeelGuar ... l+Products

Later, MM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys, today I made a new rudder like the guy in pensolcola. I built it today and installed it at my camp. I have plenty of pictures and a video of how it handles. The new rudder is thicker than the stock and longer, the PA turns on a dime and will turn in any direction immediately from a dead stop. It also seems to track very well in a straight line. I will be doing more testing and videos tommorow of it. I will post them when I get a better signal, as the cell coverage out here at the camp is sketchy....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Come to think of it ........ both my PA's require alot of adjustments to keep straight ........ thought it was just me. The Torqeedo helps though .... I guess it's because it has 2 rudders ...... the Hobie rudder and the engine itself

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Two rudders and it tracks straight as an arrow and turns on a dime. Twist and stow added to the standard flip up rudder and uses a large sailing blade.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

AllElectricPA14 wrote:
Two rudders and it tracks straight as an arrow and turns on a dime. Twist and stow added to the standard flip up rudder and uses a large sailing blade.

fascinating solution. How do you have the tiller hooked up? is the regular PA rudder fixed in position?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok The 1st try to fix the rudder issue went wrong, I used a piece of plexiglass and it worked until I got into swift current, and Broke, So I went back to the drawing board to fix this issue and made a custom made Aluminum rudder made out of 1\4" aluminum and made the rudder 1" bigger and 1" longer, Included are the pictures below, I will post a report on how it performs next weekend, I have a fishing tournament and will be giving it a workout, let me know what you guys think!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next