Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ok, after fishing two days last weekend with the new and improved rudder, it is a complete success, the pro angler no longer wants to go in it's own direction when going from a complete stop. The rudder make a big difference, you can barley move it left and right and the boat immediately reacts. I was able to finally fish and peddle at the same time without the pro angler going its own direction. I don't know weather it is the addition of 1" in length or the addition of 1" in width or the aluminum not flexing like the factory one but I love it and will be leaving it one the pro angler....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reeltime123 wrote:
ok, after fishing two days last weekend with the new and improved rudder, it is a complete success, the pro angler no longer wants to go in it's own direction when going from a complete stop. The rudder make a big difference, you can barley move it left and right and the boat immediately reacts. I was able to finally fish and peddle at the same time without the pro angler going its own direction. I don't know weather it is the addition of 1" in length or the addition of 1" in width or the aluminum not flexing like the factory one but I love it and will be leaving it one the pro angler....

Looks like this may be my next project!!! Glad to hear it worked. Did you notice any difference with the tracking while drifting without use of the mirage drive?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can't say that I really paid much attention to that, I will check out that in the next few weeks and let you know..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

reeltime123 wrote:

Congrats reeltime! that's a fantastic innovation!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am planning on removing the Rudder this weekend and will be making a template out of it. If anyone on here would like one I will post the template on here and all you will have to do is print it out on your computer and duplicate it on a piece of aluminum. Then just put your factory rudder on top of the cutout aluminum and drill the holes in the exact same spot.. Only takes a few hours and what a difference it will make!!!!! Heck I'll even sell the pattern to Hobie for a free Pro Angler!!!! "I wish!!!"

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

reeltime123 wrote:
I am planning on removing the Rudder this weekend and will be making a template out of it. If anyone on here would like one I will post the template on here ....

YES! That would be awesome reeltime!! I for one would spend a few hours fabricating your improved rudder before installing a twist and stow.
Question: With the larger profile, does the rudder drag when you beach/land/load/transport the boat? Seems like when the bow is titled up (eg., when lifting to load on a pickup or cartop) the rudder may bottom out. Can't quite tell from the pics.

Great work!! THANKS!!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking forward to getting your template as I plan on following your lead. Can you purchase aluminum for home depot or somewhere like that? As much detail as possible on the manufacture / install would be greatly appreciated! Can't wait till the tracking problem is solved as I just purchased the PA 12 a month ago and I am a bit disappointed in the performance.
Thanks again for your post...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any update on the template? Really wanting to make this happen soon.

Paesano

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

islandspeed2001 wrote:
Did you notice any difference with the tracking while drifting without use of the mirage drive?

Should work like a power boat. You need headway for best steering. The drive also is drag forward and will pull the bow left or right.

One interesting comment from a user's feedback... you need to balance the weight. You can not throw a bunch of gear forward and not have stuff aft. Bow-down will cause handling issues.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

sebby wrote:
are these "issues" specific to the PA12 or are people with the PA14's experiencing the tracking anomalies?

I have a PA 14 and have noticed this as well. I'm constantly tracking my rudder knob one way or the other. I have also dealt with trying to change direction with little momentum... it's physics... no movement over the rudder... no turning the yak (but then that's why you have a paddle).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This one goes straight and turns on command. No ifs ands or buts. Added a large rudder twist and stow to the PA14. I got sick and tired of trying to make it go straight, and when we were in the keys and had lots of wind and current we darned near got swept out to sea. Had to be fixed. I fixed it.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I guess i dont get all the fuss. Ive had my PA for 4 years now and in all kinds of conditions. From the LI Sound, Sheep's head bay to fresh water lakes. I have a PA 12 "old style steering". My steering is sensitive but not lose. Small movements/ pressures on the steering is all thats needed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 13 model, I don't have any issues with mine.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt .......... how abour considering Allelectric's idea of making a twist and stow an option on the PA. It would also make the Evolve the best engine solution for the PA too just like it is for the Outback and the Revo. Shouldn't take too much engineering or adaptation and it could be an after sale market for us that already have PA's. Looks like a goldmine to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

I believe we have a few new things coming for the issue... I can't speak of details at the moment.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next