Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

anybody take their Pro Angler out kayak camping? and if so what kinda distances can you realistically get in a day? also can you take the PA offshore, with some open ocean crossings to near by islands? or is that just left for the AI & TI owners

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

SByakfish,
I'm currently planning trip #3 to Lake Superior and can say the PA 14 has been great for extended trips. The furthest I've traveled was 38 miles and don't plan on repeating as it was 15 hours in wind and waves. The average distance covered was roughly 15 miles, taking me no further than 7-8 miles from shore (plenty for me as I was flying solo). I took every precaution and spared no expense on safety... dry suit, PLB, bilge pump, back up manual pump, VHF radio, spare Mirage Drive and repair kit, etc...

Where are you planning on going? Conditions may be very different for you if you're dealing with tides and current. Planning is KEY. Good luck, I hope it works out for you and if so, please share your experience/photos with us.

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

GR8 laker,
thanks for the reply! I currently don't have a kayak. I sold my revo but i'm thinking of getting either a PA or a AI. I'm going to fish with it mostly but i do want to someday cross the channel to Santa Catalina for a camping trip. I think it maybe a bit far for the PA to travel with the currents and shipping lanes but i do like the size and stability of the PA but may go with the AI for the trip. Granted i'm not going to be able to make this trip for sometime but just wanted to see if anybody had taken their PA offshore camping. I'll post some pic's if i ever make the trip!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You might want to consider a sail. They will certainly extend your range making your goals a bit more practical. Of course, that all depends on prevailing winds. Planning is the key to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Safety would be my biggest concern. I'd have a long list of safety items and try some "dry?" runs without any gear. Flip your PA and roll it back over, figure out how to get in and out, etc. You may want to see how your legs hold out on a long run....possibly trade off between peddling and paddling.

The PA 14's are SO nice because there is so much room for gear! I actually took my PA big game hunting on a large lake and it worked great. Keep your eye on the weather and be prepared for the worse!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

really like the post constantly considering a multi day trip and actually requested it for the upcoming issue of Kayak Angler magazine...hope to see more on this topic everywhere....perhaps we need to organize a float/fishing trip of PA pwners sponsored by hobie :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

NEVER AGAIN! had the most horrendous experience imaginable camping with my PA14. we had planned a 4-day trip down the Suwannee River in northern Fla. first day was beautiful, altho the water level was low and I had to get out multiple times to pull my yak. but on the 2nd, we unexpectantly ran into some rapids. one person in the group swamped and was trapped under her yak. I rushed to help and also swamped. NOTHING was secured, so I lost about $1000 worth of equipment, including my mirage drive and sail. having to paddle the rest of the day was a killer, esp with my arthritic elbow and shoulder. fortunately no one was hurt but we decided to end the trip. on the way home I blew a tire, ripping up the wheel well of my truck. I was so exhausted I never would have been able to unload and change the tire myself. finally fortune smiled and a kind gentleman stopped to help. I insisted but he wouldn't accept any $$. when he was leaving he asked if I believed in the Lord. I said I was just thanking Him for sending help. he smiled and went on his way. cost me my $500 deductible.

I have since gotten an Oasis, which I plan to use for camping. with only me in it, has ample room for storage. installing hooks in the front seat area so cargo can be tied down. have leashes on all my Mirage drives and will bring a spare drive on my next trip, just in case. never go out now without having EVERYTHING secured!!!

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have also considered trying the PA 14 for camping trips. Sorry you have such a terrible trip, but as you learned, some prep work for bad conditions is wise. Just to bad you had to learn it the hard way. Anyway, how does that boat handle ? I was thinking of a trip on Lake Superior with deep water, wind, waves ect. I would use a sail also, and can it use one of those fabric things that covers your legs ? Hobie thingy. wind water protection would be nice. It looks like a nice dry ride. Maybe even add a small bimini ?
Might have to add gear tie downs too. Looks like it can hold a truckload of gear.
Max Houston