Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, tough crowd. :)
I haven't had enough water in the PA to really test it except when I wash it out. I've noted no leaks or anything. I like the hatch and tackle management system. I keep one box of hooks, weights, snaps and such and another with an assortment of what I think I'll use most for the day. The net holds a few items of import. I keep a small tackle bag on a short piece of rope right behind my seat. It holds most of my plastics for the day. I keep one tray under the seat, though that will change as it warms up. I'll do more pitching. I can easily put a tray or two in the front hatch or use a crate if I need more but honestly - we all carry too much stuff.

I've fished from both, though not a lot and the only thing I miss is the rod butt rests. I love the seat except that it prevents sitting sideways... but I can live with that.

I say, good job!

A bad day fishing beats a good day at work every time!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:03 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I like the rectangular hatch. It's a big improvement over the hatch in older PA 14s. Here in New England we often fish with bait. (Worms, crabs & squid strips. I keep them in plastic containers in the hull. I also keep my rigs, sinkers, and other tackle in containers under the seat. To gain access I normally leave the plano boxes and bracket ashore.

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
Baja_Traveler wrote:
the lower box always falls out into the hull.

I was just having a look at one here. How could the lower Plano fall out (the ones we provide are a net fit)? Maybe the line (that raises and lowers the tackle management as you open the hatch) comes off the lid and allows them to come out? With the line properly attached to the lid fitting and run through the "handle" on the bottom side of the tackle management... I see no way for the tackle boxes to come out. The line acts as a seat belt.

How do you think that is happening?

Not sure of why it's happening, but has happened to me on the two trips I've taken so far (maybe too much slack).
To correct this, I took up a bit of slack on the existing line, then duplicated it on the other side..now it has two points of contact plus the lines appear to keep the boxes seated tightly to the carrier frame and to the underside of the hatch.
Will be getting a water test (fishing) later this week, so I should know more then.

Also, I'm a huge fan of the new hatch & Vantage seat system, for sight fishing the Indian River here on Florida's Treasure Coast (& Space Coast), I don't think I could ask for more........

This is my solution-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:52 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I like the PA12 hatch. Here in New England we use squid, sandstone, clams and crabs for bait. When fishing in warm weather, I remove the tackle storage system and store my bait below. It will last all day on the hottest of days. I also keep a small tackle box there.

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!