Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I need an old-style seat rail. Mine's done for (bolt holes corroded-then broke) and I'm hoping someone has an old PA hull with an intact seat rail. Specifically, the seat rail is the aluminum part that the seat bolts to and subsequently attaches to the PA via stationary slides in the back and twist nuts in the front.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If its just the alu sq tubing piece you're looking for you may find rough stock at the home centers and cut, drill a new one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

should be able to get 1 from your Hobie dealer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yep, thought about a custom job and have the tools and the ability but was hoping for an easy fix that didn't involve a drill press and having to flair ends of aluminum tubing (or some equally time consuming fix)!

Called my primary dealer first... They've been In business since the 70's and have been Hobie dealers as long as I can remember. My "can do" man Skip told me the part was jobbed for Hobie and being as this is no longer a part of the PA's (latest model seat design) Hobie isn't stocking the part.

So I'm still hoping for a convienent solution. I'm a nurse supervisor in a busy hospital...I'm not lazy. I am however time constrained and would prefer a timely fix that will work/fit quickly and be safe (original equipment).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Where are you located?

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Location • Acadiana (South Louisiana)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're kidding ......... what is Hobie going to do if something breaks while it is under warranty?

Also, there are usually Hobie PA's that fail and are replaced. Your shop should be able to salvage parts from 1 that they replaced under warranty or at least reach out to other Hobie shops and get a salvaged part from them for you.

That's the kind of service I would expect from a Hobie dealer. I would hope they would be interested in providing that level of service.

If they don't then try calling Backyard Boats or maybe Easton Kayak in Maryland ...... they will go the extra yard for you ........ I get great service from each of them