Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New old guy :)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That sounds good, Jeremy. I didn't notice that Hook1 was that close! I will have to make the trip soon, as I was looking at their website for some items I want.
Question to anyone who has knowledge of the Ram transducer arm mount... When they say compatible with Hobie wedge holes, are they talking about the built in rod holders?

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is the RAM Wedge, you basically place it in a hole that is 3/4-7/8 in diameter and start tightening and the base expands to fit firmly. You can mount fishfinders, rod holders, GPS, or anything that you can make accept a 1" or 1.5" Ram socket.

This is the RAM transducer arm. it is compatable with the 1" RAM ball.

If it were me, I would mount your Gear Tracs on the black mounting boards where you want them, and attach the RAM transducer arm to that. You would have to get the T-Bolt that fit the Gear Tracks though.

Jeremy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Good photos and advice.

An alternative, that I use, is to use a Ram Rail Mount Ball with the transducer arm. I have it mounted on the assist rail as forward on the rail as it will go. Two reasons. One it is almost adjacent to my butt, the place your transducer will have the least amount of "rock" other than thru the hull.

And second, it is about as out of the way as you can place that transducer arm and puck. I know some folks like their transducer forward to receive a "picture"
of the bottom structure as they come on it. I have been using sonar since the days of flashers on my Rangers (and have converted a Vexilar ice-fishing flasher for my PA12 to also ride in the same place on a second transducer arm for when I am setting right on top of schooled fish like perch, crappie, etc) On a power boat, most of the main transducers are placed either on the stern or the rear trolling motor, so maybe that is just what I am used to, but it works for me, and I like the fact that by being on the assist rail ball, it is convenient to swing the arm up out of the way in shallows, and when I am fishing, it is about as out of the way as it can be given the confines of the Hobie design.

Colorado Bob (oldguysrule)