Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PRO ANGLER FLOTATION
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Curious of any exist as I have not seen them. You often hear of guys cramming the PA full of pool noodles, seems cheap enough, but you'd think Hobie would make bags sized for their yaks, or at least out source it to someone. Anyone use float bags on their yaks from another company and happy or unhappy with the results? :idea:

Post subject: Re: PRO ANGLER FLOTATION
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm surprised that Hobie hasn't put a strap on the front hatch. That thing leaks like a sieve ........ if you have stuff in the front compartment, it will push against the bungy's holding the front hatch and let lots of water in if you turtle ............ probably sinking the PA or at least making it hard to turn it back over. Been well documented on several boards ......... A simple adjustable clip strap would greatly help this ......... someone here also showed how they did it.

Might be something the Hobie engineers might want to consider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't use pool noodles or air bags. Think there is enough foam supports inside the PA to keep it floating. On the other hand, it doesn't cost much to stuff your kayak full of pool noodles. After all, I carry an extra spare tire in case my spare is flat :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It will float with two aboard and with about 4 inches of water in the hull. Our rear hatch leaked. However, if we had not had the stabilizer on there is no doubt in my mind the boat would have spilled us out. It almost did thee times when the water shifted in the hull. Only the stabilizer gave us a chance to get back upright. We now have a bilge pump. If you are not electrified, a hand bilge pump would be a good idea. And some sort of baffling in the hull would certainly help with stability when water is inside. Pool noodles might help but the sloshing is still going to occur.

I think a good experiment for any of us with a Pro Angler would be to get in shallow water and purposely fill the hull with some water. Four inches is a good amount. Then see how little movement it takes to get a huge tilt angle. The round chines really don't help to resist that turnover.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I sometimes receive packages in the mail with inflated bags used for padding. I've been stuffing those in my PA in the hatch at the rear and where the tackle lid is. I keep stuffing and stuffing until no more can fit in. They weigh next to nothing and when I need add anything to the PA, I just take a few bags out and set them aside for later when I remove what ever I needed the room for.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

islandspeed2001 wrote:
Don't use pool noodles or air bags. Think there is enough foam supports inside the PA to keep it floating. On the other hand, it doesn't cost much to stuff your kayak full of pool noodles. After all, I carry an extra spare tire in case my spare is flat :mrgreen:

tHE OLDER MODELS HARDLY HAVE ANY FLOTATION IN THEM AT ALL!!

iM ELECTRIFIED BUT i NEVER INSTALLED A BILGE, I did order a hand pump though....I like the hatch strap idea.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a bunch of the big pool noodles stuffed in my PA's hull, they were cheap and I figure it sure can't hurt to have them in there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just to be sure, I put two longer pool noodles up and along the inside of each gunwale. Two shorter sections are stuffed in the bow and stern. They're not in the way and with them in there I doubt I could do anything that would sink my PA. I haven't figured up the total number of "noodle" square inches involved, but I'm sure I've added many dozens of pounds of additional flotation inside the hull. They don't soak up any water so it'd be the same as if you had the same amount of air volume in there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a manual Whale pump to run my bait tank - it runs to 1/2" pvc fed down through a scupper, and is permanently installed. In the event I need to bail the hull of the kayak, I just have to pull it out of the scupper and feed the pvc into the forward hatch. I can empty the hull in very short order...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A standard pool noodle displaces 12.7 pounds of salt water
A large size displaces 24 pounds of salt water.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Pool noodles work, some old whitewater kayaker a used to use beach balls. Stuff them inside the hull and inflate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Baja_Traveler wrote:
I use a manual Whale pump to run my bait tank - it runs to 1/2" pvc fed down through a scupper, and is permanently installed. In the event I need to bail the hull of the kayak, I just have to pull it out of the scupper and feed the pvc into the forward hatch. I can empty the hull in very short order...

Where did you get the whale pump. I like that idea.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Beachballs and packing/shipping balloons are too cheaply made and thin to rely on for floatation. I use Reliance collapsible water jugs in the 5 and 2.5 gallon sizes. Stick a piece of rubber tubing into the on/off valve so you can inflate it remotely. Stuff them in as far as you can and still reach the valve. Blow them up, close the valve and you're set. They are indestructible. I still shove pool noodles in the small crevices.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I stuffed 18 pool noodles into the Yak this morning. Still room for a couple more if I chose to do it. None are cut a couple are looped around the rear container area.