Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Battery Mounting
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mine is in a waterproof box (walmart) with a wirenut to keep all water out of the box. It's zip tied to the sailing mast.

My transducer is behind the mast.

God Bless,
Doc S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I used a Walmart Ozark Trail waterproof box which holds a Humminbird 12v 7ah battery. I have the box sitting on a like sized section of foam no-skid, placed just to the rear of the center hatch (inside the hull) on a PA-12.

I can post some pics when I get home from the Keys next week.........

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Doc S wrote:
Mine is in a waterproof box (walmart) with a wirenut to keep all water out of the box. It's zip tied to the sailing mast.

My transducer is behind the mast.

God Bless,
Doc S

I am assuming you do not get water temps with the transducer mounted in the hull? How is the clarity of the sonar readings?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

AllElectricPA14 wrote:
For all concerned. Whatever you do be sure that no metal connections can be wetted by saltwater. They will corrode in a heartbeat with the electrical power attached.

So TRUE! The connectors will corrode and cause strange power issues at first before eventually failing. King of like a car batter in need of a wire brush.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all of the input! I got some great ideas from the information you all shared. I have completed my install and I am very happy with the results so far. The only thing that ended up presenting any sort of problem was creating a mounting bracket for my Elite 7. I am sure that someone makes exactly what I would have needed but since the Kayak Bass Fishing tournaments were just around the corner I did not have time to wait for the parts. Instead I ended up combining several different products and came up with a pretty good looking mount. (I will post better pictures of this soon)

Battery mounted in the rear hatch with foam supports
Power supply plug/sealed with marine epoxy
Male power supply plug
Inline fuse
I used the Yak Attack Gear Track to mount it between the rail and mounting deck for easy accessibility. I also used Ram balls for easy adjustability and removal.

So far it has been nothing but an amazing addition to my PA 14. It has helped me pinpoint fish in awesome detail that I never could have seen before. It has also given me a much better understanding of the bottom contour, even in areas I already knew. Definitely worth it!

Last edited by Lost@sea on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow great set up!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very nice set up. I'm waiting for my ram mounts to show up and I'll be ready to put the head unit of my Elite 7 HDI unit on my PA 12. I'm using the 2 1/4 x 6" mount to hold the head unit however. Have you had any issues with the pedals hitting the unit? How well does the 7ah battery power the unit? I got a deal on a 26ah battery for $40 just to ensure a full day on the water wouldn't run the battery below half charge. Just waiting for the sleet and snow to get out of here this next week to start hitting the water again. Any suggestions for fine tuning the display right off the bat?

-2012 Seabird Design Expedition LV
-1987 Hobie 16
-2010 Stellar SES
-Hobie Fleet 291 Yankton, SD
-South Dakota Canoe and Kayak Association

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you. I have not had any problems with my drive hitting my unit. It is well out of the way on the side rail and it would also be out of the way on the mounting boards. The battery I am currently using is good for at least 10 hours of normal use. If I a changing setting a lot though it will drain the battery quicker. As for fine tuning, I spent a good amount of time reading of the manual and watching some youtube videos to familiarize myself with the unit. Even that did not get me quite up to speed and I called Lowrance's help line to help speed up the learning curve. The representative I spoke with was EXTREMELY helpful and worked with me on the phone while i was on the water for more than an hour. He answered my questions and walked me through step by step to make sure I could repeat the processes later if need be.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice work Justin...got a good look at your new PA setup at the kayak festival. Might do something similar when I get mine :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

Great setup! I'm looking to do the same thing with my Elite 5 DSI. Might I ask a few questions?

1. Where did you get the inline fuse holder, and what value fuse did you use?
2. What did you use for waterproof connectors to the battery, and to extend your power wires?
3. Which Gear Trac did you use, and how did you mount it to the side wall?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Larry

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There must be a little variation in the mould of that space between the rail and the mounting platform on your PA vs mine. The track I received from Yakattack is a bit wider than the space and the screw holes would be going into the kayak as it curves down not making very good contact. I'm curious how you fastened yours that it fit so well. I chose to just mount on track on the mounting board for now so it works out very well. Just might have to modify it a bit or look at one of the original style tracks to go in that space with the fullback plate to pull my Elite 7 back a bit. Otherwise it definitely turns some heads having a nice big fish finder on the kayak :)

-1987 Hobie 16
-2010 Stellar SES

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lost - Nice looking setup. I am considering using that rear hatch on my PA14 as a potential location for the battery but...
On the PA14, it seems like you have to insert the sealed "tupperware" tub with the cutout facing aft, and then rotate it 180-deg in order to put the cutout foreward so that the twist-seal works. How do you dress your wires to permit this rotation? Is your FF connection on the bottom of the tub?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you don't want to go to the trouble of extending your wiring, here's what I did. I replaced the pivoting tackle management system with the available gear bucket and have my small 12 volt battery in it. Still leaves space for bags of soft plastics and various other gear and works for me. I just keep my plano boxes to each side of my seat or underneath. Just an idea. Will post a pic when I have 1. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Extending wiring was no big deal....I've got a 26aH battery Ive got strapped under the seat between the scupper holes. I didn't want to worry about draining the battery below 50% very often since it wears them down faster so I went big enough to go dusk til dawn and not worry about draining the battery much...yet have enough juice for the LED lights I'll be rigging up. I'm still trying to find one of the little fuse panels that has 4 or 6 slots in it along with a couple weather pack connectors. I can't find anyone around my location that carries them.

-1987 Hobie 16
-2010 Stellar SES