Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any of you PA drivers out there use the front hatch as a cooler? If so, how does it fare? Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Someone here, I think it was here, posted a photo of using the hatch for just that purpose. I seem to recall they had cut out some styrofoam and lined the inside of the hatch lid, and installed the same on the outside of the hatch liner, effectively creating an insulated cooler.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the hatch and coffin sprayed with closed cell foam about 4 months ago. Its truly works like an ice chest now. I will post pics later.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not me..........my PA is heavy enough in the bow for me to add the weight of ice, water and whatever fish I put in there.

Heck, with almost nothing in the front hatch, I still can't go head-on into 2 ft waves without water coming over the bow. My PA just loves to plow through waves.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No!!!!! but I turned the tacklebox in front of the seat into one! I insulated it and it keeps my stuff cold all day even in Arizona summer weather. My tackle box is now stored behind my seat in the cargo area. I bought a cargo net I think from cabelas or bass pro and it fits the cargo area perfect and keeps everything back there from falling out. Not for everybody but works for me....... g man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The pictures didnt work, will try again later today.

Last edited by goatlips on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Goatlips - You "had it sprayed"? Where did you go to get this done? I was thinking of doing the same thing using some of that spray foam insulation that you buy in a can at the hardware store, and then sanding it down to a manageable shape once dry. Probably a very messy job, so I would be interested in how you got it done.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Had the guy that foamed my house do it. It was easy for them. The way the foam comes out of the spray gun they use is different than a can. I think it would be almost impossible to do with the can foam.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use my front hatch as a cooler, how does it fare? not too good...2 10# bags of ice will be melted in 2-3hours or so in florida heat....

needs some major insulation! suggestions/pictures would be awesome!

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Alright I set up a flickr account. This works so well that I have spent 5 hours fishing in the Louisiana heat and used the same ice for another trip. Go to my flickr account to see the pictures. Couldn't figure out how to load them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68550684@N04/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Very nice! i need to get with someone locally to do some of that! it's what "I had in mind".

in the last image? whats happening there? the top insulation causing the lid to not close right?

these are goatlips images:

ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The top does not close like it used to. Having said that, it still seals the ice chest well. It is only raised about another inch or so. Still works great.

Mind telling me how you got the pictures to come up like that?
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

goatlips wrote:
Mind telling me how you got the pictures to come up like that?
Thanks

pm sent.

ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My first effort at insulating my coffin was simple. I bought a cheap windshield reflector at the auto store and rough cut it to wrap the coffin. I installed it in overlapping panels with silver A/C tape as a temporary solution until I designed a new coffin that would have insulated walls as I built it. It worked so well, I got lazy and have never developed the new coffin. I have had more heat reflective material left from other projects and just added layers to the areas that had the room. These windshield reflectors just cost me $3 each retail so I use them for a lot of projects. I have wrapped the exterior of my Igloo Ice chests with this same material to stretch the life of the ice on long trip for decades and it works great.

I did a friends install with contact cement and it works very well too. Neither works as well as foam probably would but, it was a 20 minute/$10 solution, is not bothered by water and the factory lid still fits.

When I am going to do a multi-day or over night trip, I use dry ice up there and lay it under a protective sheet of thin foam. That way it doesn't add the weight of normal ice and the fish don't get burned in contact with the dry ice. It is not finished, but I have cut a new lid for the coffin that has a smaller door cut in the center for adding fish without opening the entire lid up. Getting up there is a bit of a problem, so I am working on a nylon "chute" to add to the smaller door, but that is for this winter's projects.

Tight lines. Phill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi there. I just wanted all of you to know that I sent the Idea and pics to Hobie to see what is some way we can upgrade/improve the insulation for the front hatch. What you have done for now is a GREAT looking idea and will be passing it on to my customers. Thanks