Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My main fishing ground is the Indian River here on Florida's Treasure Coast, sight fishing in 2-8' of saltyH2O, so all the bells and whistles aren't really needed.
All I truly need to know is depth, temp and bottom (holes & ledges), but I also needed a unit that will hold it's own when fishing deeper blue waters & freshwater too.
The GPS/chartplotter is nice for fishing new areas (& getting home) and really nice for marking honey holes (when fishing with others! :D).

After much research, opinion requests & budget review, I opted to go with the Lowrance Mark-4 Gray-Matrix FF/GPS unit for my PA-12.
Inexpensive, easy to operate (& read) and the install was pretty much painless.

I went with a Humminbird 12v 7ah gel battery w/charger due to the in-line LED indicator on the wall charger (charging, charged & short). I mounted the battery (along with mounted fuse holder) in a WalFart H2Oproof box....more than enough juice for several trips. Box stores inside the hull, just to the rear of the center hatch.

BTW- I bought the RAM mount for "Mark Series" (eliminates the stock mount) and am very happy with it!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The ram mount is absolutely the easiest way to go with the E4 and E5 models.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lt.

On the side of the battery box you have a waterproof(?) covering over your wire outlet. Where did you get that and what is it called? I have never seen one that looks like that one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lunker1 wrote:
Lt.

On the side of the battery box you have a waterproof(?) covering over your wire outlet. Where did you get that and what is it called? I have never seen one that looks like that one.

WEST MARINE
Two Hole Wire Caps
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=99810&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50157&subdeptNum=50187&classNum=50192

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just a howdy from a long-ago resident and angler, firedog. I hope you enjoy your Prangler to the utmost.

Also hope you enjoyed that beeeeyoooootiful launch yesterday. (I was a countdown commentator for NASA back then and still watch every launch via the innanet.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

joeyb wrote:
Lunker1 wrote:
Lt.

WEST MARINE
Two Hole Wire Caps

Bingo, that's the one, but now they have three screw holes. :D
Note- these thru-deck fitting are meant to be used with a 1/2" hole (I think), or you can remove/cut the flange so that it is just a cover and then drill a hole more appropriate hole for two small wires, then seal with marine GOOP.

I also added a marine fuse holder from West Marine-

RockyRaab wrote:
Also hope you enjoyed that beeeeyoooootiful launch yesterday. (I was a countdown commentator for NASA back then and still watch every launch via the innanet.)

I missed it...for the most part NASA doesn't pre-annouce launches from the Cape anymore due to Homeland Security/DOD concerns.
That, or I just missed it all together. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well, it was an Air force launch, not NASA, anyway. I keep track of upcoming launches via the United Launch Alliance website. The Cape Canaveral launch website hasn't been updated in three months, so it's no longer reliable.

http://www.ulalaunch.com/site/pages/Mul ... cast.shtml

http://www.placesaroundflorida.com/Cape ... _Schedule/

Sorry for the off-topic journey, fellow Hobians. Back to the thread now.