Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rigging my new PA 12
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’ve been thinking how I want to rig my new PA 12 and I would like opinions based on experience. I will be rigging it mainly for big lake fishing (i.e. down rigging live bait and trolling). I really only need to mount a Humminbird FF, two forward Scotty Rod holders, and maybe a camera mount. For the camera, I already have a Ram mount, so I will just need a ball to attach it too. I was also thinking about putting Rocket Launchers in the two back flush mounts. Do you recommend the Rocket Launcher rod holders?

To make it simple and versatile, I was thinking about simply mounting rails in both mounting boards and possibly one or both hand rails. I could then put the rod holders on the mounting boards. If I do mount rails on the boards, should I put them as close to the edge as possible to allow for the potential installation of the H-Bar?

Where is the best position to place the Fish Finder so that it is accessible but easily readable? A friend with a PA 14 put his in the sail hole in front of the peddles. But that does not seem very accessible? I’ve also seen them mounted on the hand rail.

I was also thinking that the rod holders may need to be mounted on Ram mounts so that they could be placed wide so that the long rod butts don’t interfere with peddling. Remember, I have not fished from my boat yet. What is your experience with Rod Holders with long handles and peddling?

Any opinions on the rigging questions would be appreciated.

Also, what is the best online store to buy Ram Mounts and the Rocket Launchers? My local store does not carry what I’m looking for.

Post subject: Re: Rigging my new PA 12
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Check out yak attack. They offer some great mounting options that will allow you a ton of adjustability for everything you need to mount. Gonna be investing in some of their stuff myself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What lake will you be fishing mostly?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nolzman,

I almost exclusively use ACK to purchase my gear. Super site, super fast shipping! I saw you already looked at the post of my yak. That's how I would try to set up any yak. Keep it modular so you can change it when you want, how you want.

Carl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My opinion of where to locate the fish finder:

Most people hold a fishing rod witht their strong hand. I am right handed so if you are not adjust this to the other side. I mounted my fish finder on the left mounting board as close to the rear as possible utilizing a R.A.M. mount. With the FF in this location I can bring in the fish on the left side and control/capture the fish with my left hand since the right hand is busy holding the rod.

When you mount the FF in this location you can still hand paddle the boat when you need to. With the FF mounted on the hand rail it is in the way of paddling. I also keep the right hand mounting board free of obstructions so that I can re-enter the kayak at that location should I go for an unintentional swim. With that said, I just mounted an extra (Scotty type) rod holder on the right mounting board but did so with a flush mount so the rod holder can be removed temporarily for entering/exiting the kayak.

I do not like rod holders that hold a rod in the air behind me. I find they are in the way when I cast.

Good luck, have fun.