Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where to put it?
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where are some of you stowing your paddles? I am just using the basic two-piece Hobie paddle... I have yet to even use it, but need to bring it along just in case. Tempted to just tuck it away in front hatch... or fasten to side rails... I like to keep everything simple and streamlined. Please post photos.

Post subject: Re: Where to put it?
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mine is fastened on the side rail. West marine has these clamps made for extension cords but holds the paddle great. I used a plastic conduit strap to hold the clamp to the side rail.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

First Off Nick you need a BIG "PROSTAFF" Welcome, I tuck mine away in the front hatch, I attach it to a rod leash incase it decides it wants to slide all the way to the back of the Yak. I can remove the front hatch, grab the leash and pull the paddle to me!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I keep the T handle half in the back tankwell under some bungies on one side of my crate and my hawg trough on the other side under the bungies. I keep the other half of the paddle in the hull through the front hatch with it tied off so it doesnt move to the middle/back of the hull.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Have mine attached to the side of the boat with two of the mini-quick fists. Off the deck and out of the way but handy.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

basskicker wrote:
Have mine attached to the side of the boat with two of the mini-quick fists. Off the deck and out of the way but handy.

That's what I have been looking for where did you get those at?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Had to order from the manufacturer. Apparently no dealers in my area of Ohio. Just google quick fist and you should get several options as far as where to order. About $8 and change for a set of two.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Due to the fact that the paddle sections won't fit in the front hatch of the PA-12, I came up with something simple that works okay for now, but I'm always looking for something better.
Scotty paddle clip (same as on Pro Angler paddle) added to left gunnel of tankwell. Using Velcro is a must as these clips are pretty flimsy once they've been heated up by the Florida sun.

Two ways to use-

Low chance of needing paddle- Clip the two paddle sections together, clip to boat and finish by adding a Velcro strap.....

If I feel theres a chance that I will need the half-paddle with the T-handle- I store the section with the ferrul end aline in the Scotty clip and clip the "shorty" paddle to the side handle.....

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Basskicker what size clamp did you get? They come in all different sizes want to make sure I get the right size

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is the link for the clamp:
http://www.endroad.com/index.php/quick- ... 1-3-8.html

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I got what is referred to as the mini-quick fist. Tight fit but it works. That clamp is made to hold anything from 5/8" to 1 3/8". Hope this helps. :D

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I simply use para cord for a paddle leash and just rest the entire paddle inside of either hand rail (after spinning the paddle to wind up the para cord leash)... ready for action.
Mosty used after first getting in the water when water is too shallow to insert the mirage drive and after removing the mirage drive before leaving the water.
No biggie.

CBull

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is exactly what I am looking in to...possibly putting it on the side of my Hobie Livewell.... since I always take it with me... dry storage if no live bait.

Lt.FireDog wrote:
Due to the fact that the paddle sections won't fit in the front hatch of the PA-12, I came up with something simple that works okay for now, but I'm always looking for something better.
Scotty paddle clip (same as on Pro Angler paddle) added to left gunnel of tankwell. Using Velcro is a must as these clips are pretty flimsy once they've been heated up by the Florida sun.

Two ways to use-

Low chance of needing paddle- Clip the two paddle sections together, clip to boat and finish by adding a Velcro strap.....

If I feel theres a chance that I will need the half-paddle with the T-handle- I store the section with the ferrul end aline in the Scotty clip and clip the "shorty" paddle to the side handle.....

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

trout man wrote:
First Off Nick you need a BIG "PROSTAFF" Welcome, I tuck mine away in the front hatch, I attach it to a rod leash incase it decides it wants to slide all the way to the back of the Yak. I can remove the front hatch, grab the leash and pull the paddle to me!

Trout Man.... I appreciate the big Pro Staff welcome...it's an honor to finally be in a Hobie.... it's like I can breathe again

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nicky-D wrote:
Where are some of you stowing your paddles? I am just using the basic two-piece Hobie paddle... I have yet to even use it, but need to bring it along just in case. Tempted to just tuck it away in front hatch... or fasten to side rails... I like to keep everything simple and streamlined. Please post photos.

This does not answer your question, but I would never leave the bank or shore without a paddle. To many things that could go wrong and need extra power with the paddle. Just my two Cents worth. Good luck

To answer your question: I keep my paddle on the right side of the PA 14. I have the older model and only one steering handle on the left side. I place it inside the handrail next to the seat. I is not locked in, but I use a bungy cord to make sure I do not loose it...

Again, Good Luck

PS... I don't like to have extra holes in my yak when not needed.