Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just curious if anyone has weighed a PA 12 and a PA 14 with standard equipment and no mods or tackle etc. onboard. My 2013 PA 14 is a bear to load in my pickup and I need to know if I'm just a weakling or what. I'm seriously considering going to either a PA 12 or an Outback since I fish alone most of the time. I'm retired and most of my friends still work so I need to be able to load and unload solo anywhere. I know what the factory weights are. Just want some verification from another source. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm 66 and no weightlifter. It seems like I'm lifting about 40 pounds to get the bow from the ground to the Hully rollers on the back of my Durango. The only hard part about it is getting me out of that narrow space after the bow is resting in the rollers!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rocky Rabb, how many times have you had that kayak slide away from the car and come crashing down. Be careful what you are sitting the stern on because it will get away from you. I made a rope that was just the right length that I would attach to the car and to the stern of the kayak. It kept it from sliding away.....

Herk, the factory weight differences are accurate. They both are heavy. I finally came to realize just how heavy and went out and bought me a trailer. Problem solved.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hasn't slid away yet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RockyRaab wrote:
Hasn't slid away yet.

It will sooner or later :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

the empty--or rigged, (either way), weight difference in the PA12 and 14 is considerable. i have enough trouble loading the 12 in the back of my toyota pickup, i sure would not want to load the 14 by myself all the time. my son can load the 14 in his truck, but he's a teenager. its not easy for him, but its easier than it would be for me. even loading them both on the trailer, the 12 is a feather in comparison to the 14. the 'actual' difference is probably less than 40 pounds fully rigged, but i swear it feels like more.

i figure the rigged weight of the 12--tournament rigged with our gear, is around 130, and the 14 is 160-170. since we trailer, they stay full of all our tackle and gear. even when one of us goes out alone, we dont unload gear and then reload it all. thats sort of redundant.

bless anyone who is loading one on top of a vehicle. i'd take up golf before i would consider that.

but loading in the back of the truck, with all gear intact is not that hard on an old man with a 12. and when i get to the ramp, since i dont have to re-rig everything i can drop the boat off, park the truck and be pedaling away in about a minute. same with loading it all back in. less than 2 minutes and i'm off.
if you wanted to take the hull down to the 98 lb dry weight , i guess you'd be spending 15 or 20 minutes each time--both in and out.

cheers.
drew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a front mounted winch and a set of straps to lift and load the PA14 with all equipment stowed on board and bungee strapped in place. I am 70 years old and got tired of lifting the bow up onto the top of the truck. I have a ramp for unloading.

As far as it tumbling off, more likely than the non skid pads are sidehills. That slippery hull will just slide right off the roof rack crossbar. That is why you see the keepers on the ends of the crossbars as well as the two white plastic guides on the roller assembly. It bounces pretty good if you drop the front off the side of the roof.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the responses. You gave me the answers I was looking for from Hobie PA owners. I think the PA 12 would be a better kayak for me so now I need to sell my four month old PA 14. I love that peddle power.