Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Evolve Offshore
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone use the Evolve in their PA offshore (through Mirage Drive)? I'm curious how well it works.

Post subject: Re: Evolve Offshore
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

DoubleOSeven wrote:
Anyone use the Evolve in their PA offshore (through Mirage Drive)? I'm curious how well it works.

I guess it depends on what you consider offshore. I don't use the Evolve, I have a Watersnake mounted in a Cartridge Plug so it is basically the same. If you think you are going a long way out into the ocean, then I would Mirage Drive pedal out and use the Evolve to go back in. If you use the Evolve to go way out, and then have a problem with it you may be too far out to pedal back (in time). When the wind starts to blow offshore, waves build quickly. I try to keep within a mile of standup water when I go oceanside. Now that some of the kinks have been worked out of my system, I might extend that to two miles. And that would be my maximum for the PA14 even if it had a never fail gasoline motor. With sparky parts, all bets are off. Electrical stuff quits working when you let the smoke out of a part. And man do those parts smoke.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I used the evolve previously on an Outback mounted to the rudder; the prop tends to come up near the surface the more power you apply which causes instability when your dealing with fast moving or tall waves typical of a south florida flash storm. Now that I got a PA, I'm uncertain if I want to keep the evolve or buy a Torqeedo to mount on the rear so I can still do a combo of a mirage drive and motor.

I was hoping to get some feedback so I don't have to cut the hole for the power cable. I considered putting all the wires and the battery on the deck, but if I flip that could be 2K sinking to 250ft LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

DoubleOSeven wrote:
I used the evolve previously on an Outback mounted to the rudder; the prop tends to come up near the surface the more power you apply which causes instability when your dealing with fast moving or tall waves typical of a south florida flash storm. Now that I got a PA, I'm uncertain if I want to keep the evolve or buy a Torqeedo to mount on the rear so I can still do a combo of a mirage drive and motor.

I was hoping to get some feedback so I don't have to cut the hole for the power cable. I considered putting all the wires and the battery on the deck, but if I flip that could be 2K sinking to 250ft LOL.

Strap it down.

If you already have the twist and stow sort of mount for the EVolve, then just do this. Of course I am showing the rudder you would have the motor.

The up down are fed to the front, and the steering is done by adding a short piece of string between the rudder quadrant in the rear to the twist and stow. I use it for control authority. Just remove the handle and put eye bolts into the 5/16 threaded holes. I use some straps I got from Home Depot as a removable rear handle. Then you have your dual drive system, just like you did in your outback.

I have outriggers (ten foot spread) so I don't flip. Wouldn't venture out into big water without them. Was out off Ohio Key about a mile give or take. Wind came up and finally I gave up and started back to shore. Waves were exactly abeam. Those outriggers paid off that day. The waves were already whitecapping and the Yak was rolling pretty good even with the outriggers.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use it all the time offshore in Pompano Beach, FL. It works flawlessly through the mirage drive slot.