Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Greetings, everyone!

I am finally ready to do the PVC pipe trailer conversion. What is the correct center-to-center distance between the pipes for a 2013 PA 14? I will be using the 3" diameter schedule 40 gray pipes. Thanks!

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sit the PA on the pipes and then measure. Best way to get it to fix your PA exactly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=41336

This is detailed conversion which I'm going to this summer, submitted by someone with a lot more talent then me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Larry, after reading a bunch of the trailer conversion threads here, I went with 11" on center spacing for my PA12 (before I picked it up - wanted to be ready!)... Turns out, when the boat went on, it didn't quite work out that way... :roll: Islandspeed has the best idea, sit the boat on there with the PVC under it, and mark it from there. Mine ended up with just under 11" oc at the front end, and almost 12" oc at the back... Mini wedge, sorta... I have a carriage built to fit into my mesh-side utility trailer... The boat overhangs front and back by about 4 feet, and the PVC cuts that down to two-ish on each end.

Good luck, have fun! :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

islandspeed2001 wrote:
Sit the PA on the pipes and then measure. Best way to get it to fix your PA exactly.

Agree with above.

The only thing I would add is the the tighter the fit also depends on your trailer configuration. I picked up and modified a used trailer on the weekend (I will add pics later). My set-up didn't is less dependant on the exact fit of the PVC pipes, as the majority of support is coming from two carpet bunk boards slides that create most of the contact and support for the PA. Between the bunk boards I installed two 5'- 4" pvc pipes, 11" from center apart. I find the pvc pipes serve two purposes. A) added support for the keel and hull and B) keep the yak from sliding sideways off the slide bunks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
keep the yak from sliding sideways off the slide bunks.

I tried the carpeted bunks first, because I had some left over from a scrapped boat trailer. Didn't take me too many trips to remove those and install a couple lengths of 3" (gray conduit) PVC @ 11" o/c which provide plenty of support and keeps my 2012 PA-14 from sliding sideways when loading or off loading. It also slides very easily on the PVC "bunks", best way to go IMO. I also tried 2" PVC and it worked ok but the 3" affords a little better hull clearance to trailer cross members.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, everyone, for your great tips! What I will likely do is to space at 11" just to pick up the yak, then tweak the spacing once I get home. I will be posting some pics once I get everything set up. Thanks again,

Larry