Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Insurance?
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, everyone,

Does anyone buy insurance on their PA's, through Boat US or anyplace else? I'm in over five grand now, and I wouldn't want to lose it all in a mishap.

Thanks,
Larry

Post subject: Re: Insurance?
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

$5000 mishap? We call that a oops damnit in the Ozarks. Seriously I did not think about that. I do carry liability for my guide service. In Missouri if I use a trolling motor or sail I must register the boat and carry insurance.
Jim

PS: I didn't directly answer your question.
Nope.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have my Hobie 16 insured (primarily for liability) with Boat US. They seem very reasonable and their customer service is great.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check with your insurance carrier (homeowners). It may be already be covered. Maybe not..... Like I said, check with your carrier.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We have full coverage thru State Farm. It covers everything from loss including if we turtle and loose our poles, tackle, fish finder, cameras, etc. also if someone steals the whole thing they will replace everything. So there is a little peace of mind. It's like $75 each PA but we felt it was worth it...

Rob

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I also went through State Farm and for all my gear where I'm located is $84 a year insuring it to $5k. Also an FYI....most home owners insurance policies will not come close to covering most kayaks in price. If you read the clause, it will only cover up to $1500 on a kayak....if you have a trailer...trailers are typically only covers to $1500 as well. I questioned 2 companies about it because in a home owner policy...it states that a watercraft is considered a vessel under power by gas/electric motor or by sail. This may be a nice loop hole in the event something unfortunate did happen but I asked questions and it went to the underwriters. They were even uncertain to an extent so I would be cautious about testing those waters. Better safe than sorry....I know I'd hate to lose out on a lot of fishing when it will take over 30 years of paying insurance to reach what I payed for the kayak and accessories....only a $25 deductible at that price too.

-2012 Seabird Design Expedition LV
-1987 Hobie 16
-2010 Stellar SES
-Hobie Fleet 291 Yankton, SD
-South Dakota Canoe and Kayak Association

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I contacted Progressive today about insuring the PA14 a total of $6500 in coverage for the PA, rods, reels, FF, trailer, etc. etc. They quoted me $472 for the year. I live in NJ. Is that expensive?

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I checked with Progressive and they were a lot higher than State Farm....considering I'm paying $84 a year for $5k in coverage vs over $400 for $6.5k...that is a bit high. Location may be an impact there and the number of kayaks out there that are insured. I could bump my coverage up to $7k for only $10 more per year. I'm in South Dakota and cost of living is a lot lower so that may impact it as well. I'd suggest checking out State Farm otherwise I've heard people mention reasonable rates from that BoatUS.com site as well.

-2012 Seabird Design Expedition LV
-1987 Hobie 16
-2010 Stellar SES
-Hobie Fleet 291 Yankton, SD
-South Dakota Canoe and Kayak Association