Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yak Attack Rail Install
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all,
I would like to mount a yak attack rail system on my PA 14...my question is this:
Should I mount the rails on the board only or on the board/kayak over the 3 screws that are screwed into the kayak?

Banzai Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it were me, I would only mount it to the board....just make it close to the inside edge of the kayak....make sure you can get a wrench or socket on the nut for tightening.
That is why Hobie made the boards, so you do not need to make additional holes in the hull and if for some reason you want to change the location, the only holes are in the board...and you can replace the board if desired.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the response. I noticed the Yak Attack rails do not come with any nuts just screws to mount to the board. Are you suggesting I should do this on my own?

Thank you, Banzai Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since the gear tracks need to be "secure"....you don't want the screws to come loose or pull out. So, I would use stainless steel flat head machine screws and SS "nylock nuts"....these are like aircraft nuts with a nylon sleeve built in that prevents the screw from loosening up.....this way you don't need a locking washer.
Most hardware stores will carry the SS screws and nuts....take your gear track with you to make sure the head of the screw fits flush in the gear track hole....assuming it's counter bored for flat head hardware.
I believe a 1" long screw should be long enough so you fully engage the nylock feature in the nut.
The simplest way to make sure the holes drilled are in the right location is to initially install the screws in the mounting holes at either end of the track....then drill the remaining holes....everything will line up for easy assembly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have 8 or 9 on mine ........ just screw them into the board only with the screws that come with it ......... never heard of 1 pulling out ......... the thing has alot of screws ..... you can lift the yak with something attached to them ........... They are GREAT ....... allows you to change your configuration and customize in a minute ....... Love em !!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've been told that the screws alone (8" or longer GearTracs), is more than enough....but if you feel the need, I would only thru-bolt on the four corners and use the included screws for the remainder.

On my first PA12, I installed a pair of 4" GT175 GearTracs to the rear most inside corner of the boards and yes, those were thru-bolted.

On my current PA12, I installed a pair of 12" GT90'S on the gunnels between the boards and the side handles.....works for my needs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just a headed up, consider other items that you may install on the boards that will not be in the track. For example, I have the YakAttack Gear Track installed on my PA14 and I received the Hobie Hbar for Christmas. The tracks definitely interfered with the Hbar install. I love the Gear Track, this is just something to think about.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I used the stock screws that came with them. Installed mine and for 3 others last season on the boards with no problem.
Jim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree with Jambone...." 'consider other items that you may install on the boards that will not be in the track. For example, I have the YakAttack Gear Track installed on my PA14 and I received the Hobie Hbar for Christmas. The tracks definitely interfered with the Hbar install.' .

I installed one 8" & one 12 " GT175 GearTracs to the handrails. The H-bar fits without restriction & the FF and rodholders fit into the Geartrac without issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Good suggestions Patriot, I may have done the handrail setup if I ever considered putting on the Hbar. I really like the Gear Track system, love the options it gives you when greased our for the day. The Mighty Mounts are great too. No, I don't work for YakAttack but I love their gear and service. I just placed an order last week for a ParknPole and PanFish Portrait for a GoPro. I have a video or two of my rig on YouTube and I will add an update soon. Just search for Naked 2014 Pro Angler, if your interested. I have had a lot of fun rigging my new yak this winter.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition