Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

$150 kit from Harbor Freight ($180 list - 20% off, coupons are always available on the interwebs, google for em, every auto mag has a HF ad pages in it etc).

Quick to assemble, sprung just right for the weight of kayak. Super easy to hand wheel around - in quite a few cases, you wont need to use a kayak cart to get to the water.

About the only addition required is a 6' section of 1 1/2 square galvanized perforated tubing - look at your favorite HW store or order one from McMaster etc. I have it "telescoping" in/out of the stock tongue rail. You will likely need to enlarge some holes to 1/2".

I generously padded the cross rails with some foam material (pool noodles, pipe foam insulation from Lowes etc).

Pics:

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Really??? I don't think I'd trust that trailer for my PA.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A couple guys I know own those trailers and the main thing I saw was easy rusting and the need to repack the bearings before first use (both told me the bearing area was weak with grease). Time will tell on the durability.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey don't let other people get to ya. I made my first trip with my pa like this. SCARY was an understatement. Image

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am loving it so far, about 500 miles on it. Like I said, silky smooth is the best way to describe it. Low to the ground, so getting the yak on/off is a piece of cake.

I own the larger HF trailer too - mostly for hauling 4x8 and other construction stuff around, when I am doing a project. Overall, I'd say I am over $3K into HF stuff (mills, lathes, compressors, welders, on & on) and never had an issue.

The repacking of bearings upon assy is not an option, but a must, so it states in the manual. You'd also pump the rear of the wheel hub full o grease with a grease gun.

Anyway, I can not imagine a better trailer even for 7x in price. I tow it with my diesel VW Passat, getting around 50MPG hwy (!) - _with_ trailer/boat in tow.

Here's another pic showing the trailer with the rail extension out and used as a prop-up to have trailer on it's butt, for constrained spaces - the trailer footprint in this position is 4x3 feet (!)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you plan to store the PA on the trailer, or leave it on there for long periods, you might want to consider supporting it lengthwise along the scupper trough.